• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Excited to Die: Do you keep backup characters?

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I like to have, and like my players to have, backup characters available, if only to make sure that people get to play during a particular game night/day. I was never fond of dying then spending time building a new character while others are having all the fun playing. :)

MonsterMash

First Post
In the main D&D campaign I'm playing in we have a fate point system meaning character death is pretty rare. This doesn't stop me coming up with ideas though, and I usually know what the next character I'd like to play is.

As I gm as well as play lots of those concepts end up as fully statted NPCs - who of course the players never meet.... :\

Blaque

First Post
I often have atleast a couple backups for my characters, in case the current character dies horribly (almost happened last game session, damn disintigrating traps), or if I find the character just is not pulling their weight and not that enjoyable, depending ont he DM.

It also is a thing where I like to draw my characters. And well, eventually, I want to draw soemthing else, get into going into the character's background and thinking "That's be a cool character" and all that jazz.

Right now, I have the following backups:

Game 1
- Current Character: Druid avener hunter killer sort of loony.
- Backup One: Kobold artificer with hommunculli managery, magic shop, and followers.
- Backup Two: Dread necromancer with warmage bodyguard, and horde of undead minions.

Game 2
- Current Character: Kalashtar psychic warrior ass-kicker. I'm not too worried of him dying though. Still, just in case...
- Backup One: Half-daelkyr ranger/impure prince, for ickiness:)

But yeah. Half of the time its just so I can draw something neat, admitedly. Still fun to do:)

In games other hten D&D, it also helps if you end up having to run a game. A few of my backup PCs in Exalted games have found their way as NPCs in games I've run.

Ummm, and stuff:)

Tatsukun

Danjin Masutaa
Right now, I’m playing a Paladin and I have always had trouble role-playing a selfless PC who is willing to die for the cause of good. I know he’s not afraid of death, but I don’t want to have to stop playing him.

But, I recently re-read the Psi Handbook, and now I’m excited about making a Psychic Warrior. Right now, I could play either my current guy, or my new backup PsyWar happily.

Long story short, if you want to be able to role-play a fearless, selfless PC well, you should have a good backup PC.

-Tatsu

Remove ads