Exhibition Arena - OOC and Rules Issues

Greybar

No Trouble at All
Arena:
* As in ToC and BoAA main event, with the addition of the On Deck Area. This area is beyond the force wall to the east and west. The force wall appears transparent from the On Deck side, but is opaque from the arena side.
* Large illusions against the upper walls of the arena display the pre-recorded images of the two combatants and the two creatures in the On Deck Area, along with their lifetime and season stats, patron divinities, sponsorship information, and favorite snack foods. These images are visible to all four creatures, the generals, and the spectators.

The Roster:
* Each side receives a roster of nine combatants of varying strength.
* Each side has the same number of combatants of each CR.
* There is a "general" referred to in these rules (the persona of the player), but the general does not enter the field or interact with the combatants other than choosing which of them is to enter the contest next.

On Deck Area:
* Any creature entering the On Deck Area is considered to have been thoroughly dispelled of temporary magics. Any equipment they carrry is unaffected.
* Creatures in the On Deck Area can observe the arena on a series of magical scrying screens. The screen has the viewer's full visual acuity, including any magical effects.
* When their time to enter the arena comes, the combatants can either teleport in as an MEA, or pass through the force wall under their own power at any location along with wall at 0z height.
* While in the On Deck Area, the creature can use any spells or abilities that have a target of "touch" or "personal" to buff for their turn. Creatures in the On Deck Area are always considered to be moving at a worse initiative than the active combatants.

It begins:
* Prior to the start of the event, the general of each side designates one of the creatures on his roster to be the first combatant of the contest. This lead-off combatant enters the On Deck Area first.
* While the announcer begins the festivities, the lead-off combatant has one round by which to prepare himself in the On Deck Area.
* When the announcer is done, initiative order is determined between the combatants. The first-moving creature may choose to enter the arena immediately, or force his opponent to take the first move. If the latter, they cede initiative for the remainder of the combat.

Replacements:
* As soon as a combatant is considered defeated, the creature in the On Deck Area is forced to enter the arena (by Teleport or movement). It is possible that this will interrupt a Full-Round action, in which case that action is disrupted.
* The instant that a combatant leaves the On Deck Area, his general must choose a new creature from his roster to replace it, if any remain. The creature is instantly teleported into the On Deck Area.
* In case of a draw, or more combatants being defeated in the same round, there will be an initiative check between the two On Deck creatures, and procedure will follow as if it was the first round of the contest.

Last edited:

Gansk

Explorer
I think one of the ideas that we are testing out is rearranging our lineup on the fly, thus I should only need to provide the initial combatant and the on-deck guy.

Another rule I would like to propose: the manager can send in an emergency substitution by teleporting a creature that is not in the on-deck circle. The on-deck circle creature stays there, but all of his buffs are dispelled and he has to start over again. The emergency creature obviously has no buffs. The on-deck creature cannot leave there unless he enters the arena, but emergency subs can be performed multilple times.

PJSlavner

Explorer
I think that either of the above options is fine, but not both. Either you are allowed to rearrange on the fly, or you have a set lineup with emergency substitutions possible.

Infiniti2000

First Post
I don't like the emergency sub. I had assumed the rearrangement on the fly as standard. In fact, I assumed that we would only pick the first two with no buff time at all for the first one (though I suppose some initial buff time would be good). My original proposal for arrangement was to pick from the current CR, however. Did you intend for us to pick at will from the entire list or just from the lowest CR upwards?

Greybar

No Trouble at All
Quick replies:
* I was thinking "order entire list first" and wondering in my head about a pinch-hitter idea but hadn't verbalized it.
* I'm fine with arrangement on the fly, though.

For my sanity, let's leave off the emergency sub. That way I can have my spreadsheet going with current stats with buffs for current+ondeck that I can maintain when I have down time at night.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Upon rereading, yes, it's any order. I think maybe we could pick our first combatants and then have one round (the one round buff time) to choose are next combatants (both simultaneously). In fact, I think it'd be great to choose the combatant to enter the ODS as the ODS clears.

Gansk

Explorer
OK I2K, I am just trying to get this straight. Even though you already submitted two initial combatants, you are proposing to change the order of events slightly so that it progresses in the following manner:

1) The first two combatants are introduced and enter the arena. The On Deck area is empty.

2) The combatants buff for one round while they are introduced. The On Deck area is filled based on what the generals see in the arena.

3) The arena combatants commence fighting. The On Deck combatants commence buffing.

Thus you reserve the right to change the On Deck combatant that you already submitted, correct?

Greybar

No Trouble at All
Sorry I haven't been more specific. I hope to have time tonight to right out a more rigorous set of instructions.

* Yes, I provided the lineup in CR order, but that'd be like having Ortiz take your leadoff spot. :)
* I like the adapt as you go from I2K, so we'll do that. When a combatant enters the field of battle, the general will also have to announce who their next On-deck person is. Note that the combatants and both generals (and the spectators) can see who is in the On-deck circle, though they cannot see specific actions they take (like casting spells or making funny faces). The actual actions they do take should be in spoiler blocks so the GM can track spell durations, prep his spreadsheet, and chuckle to himself.
* The forcewall between the On-deck circle and the Arena does not allow verbal or telepathic contact. If the combatant wants to take a standard action to stare into the On-deck and see if his teammate is miming something to him, maybe we can talk. :)

Remove ads