Exhibition Arena - OOC and Rules Issues

Infiniti2000

First Post
Actually, my understanding is:

1. The two first combatants are in the on deck circle and buff for one round while introduced.
2. After one round, the two combatants enter the arena and then we can choose who goes to the on deck circle. The on deck circle is filled prior to any other combat action in the arena (i.e. as soon as one creature leaves the on deck circle, the next one replaces him before any action is taken in the arena).
3. Combat proceeds as normal.
4. In the event of a loss based on normal rules, the combatant in the on deck circle from the loser's side enters the arena (also as normal, i.e. teleporting in as a move action). As the General decides this action, he simultaneously/immediately chooses the next on deck circle combatant.
5. Once in the on deck circle, that combatant cannot be changed.

Additionally, I think the on deck circle combatants should be placed in the initiative order so that it's easier to adjudicate how many actions they take.

Greybar

No Trouble at All
Ah, we posted at the same time (ish).

1) The first two combatants are introduced and enter the arena. The On Deck area is empty.

Yes.

2) The combatants buff for one round while they are introduced. The On Deck area is filled based on what the generals see in the arena.

Yes. Note this means you might be able to observe the opponent's buffing, unlike what we seem to be doing in the ToC.

3) The arena combatants commence fighting. The On Deck combatants commence buffing.

Yup. Sounds good.

Thus you reserve the right to change the On Deck combatant that you already submitted, correct?

Yes, though with the clarification that once we're underway, the On Deck combatant enters the On Deck circle simultaneous with the combatant entering the arena.

We do have a more complicated situation vis-a-vis initiative, but I think the current rules will cover it. Your on-deck fighter could be choosing to take their buff right now, or Delay looking for your man to drop and leap right in before the opponent can recover.

Greybar

No Trouble at All
Heh, we're all reading and posting.

I'll sort out the comments tonight. I think there are certainly multiple legit ways to structure this, but I need to get back to work.

Gansk

Explorer
Greybar said:
Note this means you might be able to observe the opponent's buffing, unlike what we seem to be doing in the ToC.

I think the intention is the same for the ToC, it's just that we don't have a lot of Spellcraft experts at CR 5. However, I may have been remiss in describing some generic spellcasting or concentrating in some instances. :eek:

Greybar

No Trouble at All
I've edited in the rules for the first post. I think they cover everything, though I'll review the questions above to make sure.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Looks good though I'm not sure about the inability to see invisible et al if you in fact can see that, especially if you buff with see invisibility or true seeing. It would make entering the arena haphazard. I'm not sure if it will matter though.

One other question. In the event of a draw, is initiative rerolled?

Greybar

No Trouble at All
On the sensors - I was wrong. I thought the scrying didn't transfer your visual abilities, but they do. "As with all divination (scrying) spells, the sensor has your full visual acuity, including any magical effects." I'll update that.

On the draw: Yes - initiative will reroll in case of draw or simultaneous defeat of combatants.

Greybar

No Trouble at All
Gansk: I understand you had a tool/spreadsheet for randomly assigning skills and feats for creature who needed them? If so, could you send it my way?

Both of you: So there isn't a surprise, I'll try to generate the skills and feats for your other dragons ahead of time so you can take that into account when choosing when to put them into play.

Gansk

Explorer
I thought these were all SRD dragons, which means they have samples in the Draconomicon. I suggest you use those to save yourself a lot of pain and effort.

I was expecting these samples to be used when I planned my lineup.

Greybar

No Trouble at All
Ah, you clever man. That sounds like a very good idea. Consider the lineup to match the Draconomicon samples, including the current dragon.

Good thing the sample Juvie Gold didn't have Improved Initiative, though.

Remove ads