Exotic Weapons

frankthedm

First Post
Chains; A group of weapons consisting of stout chain, Nearly 15 feet long, with varying options at both ends. Each combination is a separate feat. Attack adjacent foes as a improvised flail or use similar to a whip as an exotic weapon. The chain is treated as a melee weapon with 15-foot reach, though you don’t threaten past 5’. Thus using it past 5’ provokes an attack of opportunity, except from the foe being attacked. Depending on heads, using as a double weapon and weapon finesse may be an option. The chain itself counts as a light weapon in a grapple. Though large, the flexible nature of the chain prevents wielder from applying STR x 1.5. Using in cramped spaces or with locked gauntlets not recommended.
Base 1d6/1d6 x2 crit 12LB 30 GP finesse-able, ‘[light’ weapon if using double weapon style]
Heavy head: 1d8 bludgeoning x3 crit +6 lb, 10gp each. ‘medium’
Blade head 1d8 slashing 19-20 crit +4lb 15 gold each. ‘medium’
Boulder Head 2d6 19-20 crit +20 lbs Allows STR x 1.5 damage. Requires a move equivalent action after attacks past where you threaten. Doesn’t have disarm, dual wield or trip option

Claws: exotic slashing weapons for combatants who want to get in touch with their inner beast; ALL: able to finesse, 19-20 x2 crit for bladelike claws, 20x3 crit for hook like claws [often designed to be attached to locked gauntlets.]
Cat’s claw 15 GP 1d6 tiny 3 lbs
Bear’s claw 30 GP 1d8 small 4 lb.
Dragon’s claw 60 GP 1d10 medium 7 lb

Firearms: Costly and unreliable, check with me to see what the dwarves have cooked up.

Hooksword: exotic, medium, 1d8 slashing and piecing 19-20 crit 5lbs. 35gp. Can be used for trip attempts and receives a +2 bonus on disarm checks. Blades on handle can be used as light weapons [1d6 19-20 crit]. Due to small handle area it can never be wielded with 2 hands.

Last edited:

Sledge

First Post
Our closest is the frequent usage of tree throwing in our "Demon World" campaign. The Dragon Disciple has throw anything and gets good range out of them. The Troll in the party is stronger, but doesn't have the feat. Every time they meet something in a forest, they pull out the trees and start throwing them.

Ace

Adventurer
demiurge1138 said:
Tell us, O' EN World. Tell us of your exotic weapons, your crazy WoTC weapons that actually were used well, your strange magic weapons and your improvised weapons.

My personal favorite was the grave robber character who had a spade for his back-up weapon. It was treated like a club, which means he could technically throw it. The visual of a man throwing a spade like a javelin was too good to pass up.

Demiurge out.

Interesting. In my last game there was a non talking psionic mortician character who was armed with a shovel as his primary weapon. It was treated as a heavy mace IIRC.

I have a lot of Exotic weapons IMC. Monk weapons aren't exotic though as Monks in my game can flurry with anything they are proficient in

I moved a few weapons about as well

Sai becomes Swordbreaker which is a martial weapon

Nunchaku is called Chain Sticks. Its a light martial weapon

Kama and Sickle are a single weapon Hand Scythe -- its martial

Siangham is gone

Repeating Crossbow is Martial -- there is no heavy repeater

Hand Crossbow does 1d4 and is simple

WHEW

Ok on topic a bit closer

Exotic weapons in my campaign are

Bladestaff -- the two bladed sword from the PHB. The only difference is that any staff specific feats work fine with it

Moonsword -- think Bat'leth. Uses the double axe stats but is also a trip weapon

Starblade -- Shuriken

Fighting Chain -- Spiked Chain only blunt. It can also be used as a double weapon

Klee -- This is a three bladed throwing iron 16/19-20x3 RI20

Greatbow -- as Composite Longbow does 1d10

Warsword (as Bastard Sword) There is also a wood version that does 1d6/x2 -- think Bokken. All feats apply

Waraxe (as Dwarven Waraxe)

Net

Bolas

Three Part Staff (as Dire Flail)

Hook Hammer (as Gnome Hookhammer)

Battle Claw (a Shortsword that can't be disarmed may may power attack)

Whip

Chainwhip (uses Whip stats and feats does 1d6 lethal. May be bladed)

Blowgun

Spearthrower (adds 10 to the increment of any Javelin or Dart, increases die by 1 type. Allows missile weapon increments)

Mancatcher

Wolf72

Explorer
our first 3e tryout was when only the PHb was out ... so I grabbed my copy of the AtG (anniversy edition, easeir when everything is basically together).

me (DM and dmnpc/wizard) and two players (elven ranger and human cleric of garagos/war and chaos)

they were 12th lvl I think and I had to guestimate all of the bad guys ... anyway they were pretty well off combat wise and kicked the stuffing out of most small encounters (and running when they needed to) ...

the one that beat them to a pulp (hence the running) was the hill giant cook, she threw meat cleavers and then waded in with a hill giant-sized frying pan.

not an exotic weapon, but it worked well enough. :cool:

Tarangil

First Post
A strange encouter with an improvised weapon was, the character being caught unprepared in a kitchen managed to bludgeon an attacking ninja to death with a rolling pin.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Oberyn said:
About the chastity belt...
Actually, that reminds me of the player in one of my games who wanted to build a monk taking advantage of the line about "a monk can use any part of his body as a weapon". That and something he called a ring of hardness. Needless to say, I nixed that idea immediately.

Demiurge out.

The Shaman

First Post
demiurge1138 said:
Actually, that reminds me of the player in one of my games who wanted to build a monk taking advantage of the line about "a monk can use any part of his body as a weapon". That and something he called a ring of hardness.
Did the ring have a blue, triangular-shaped stone set in it?

Remove ads