Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (Recruiting a Trapfinder)

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Recruiting is open again. Right now the party has a caliban barbarian/fighter, a sorcerer, a wizard, and a druid. I will take one more player if someone is willing to fill the trapfinding/skill role.

I've wanted to run this adventure for a long time. I really like the way it was updated to the 3.5 rules set and love the ambiance of Ravenloft. If you'd be interested in participating in this game, let me know what type of character you'd like to play and when you'd be able to get started. If there is enough interest, I may run it.

Starting character level would be 6th. I would accept up to four players and two alternates. I'd also expect every player character to have a backup character ready since... well, it's Ravenloft. I'd probably be using some rules from the Ravenloft Campaign Setting by Swords & Sorcery, but owning that book wouldn't be necessary as I'd provide the necessary rules to players. Player sources would be restricted to the Player's Handbook and Heroes of Horror, although alternate base classes like the scout or the knight would probably be allowed. There are also some special rules from the adventure that all players would have access to. I'd make a player handout with these rules available to players.

Disclaimer: This isn't an adventure for the faint of heart or those who like "winning." If you know Ravenloft, then you know the setting is often about choosing between the lesser of two evils, that alignment is blurred, and that the characters are intended to feel a certain level of oppression constantly around them. However, it is this sense of oppression that makes every victory, even a small one, so much sweeter than it would be in a normal campaign. If you really dig the Call of Cthulu and similar games then this is probably a great adventure for you. If not, then please opt not to participate.

Character Creation Rules
Level: 6th
Starting XP: 15,000
Ability Scores: Standard method (PH 7). Use the EN World Dice Roller. If you have issues with the dice roller for some reason, let me know and we will work out another rolling option. If your scores are too low, roll a new set in a new post. I do not appreciate it when players roll first using another method and ask later so don't do it. I will ask you to reroll.
Class: All classes from the PH are allowed plus the Hexblade (CW), Swashbuckler (CW), Favored Soul (CD), Spirit Shaman (CD), Warlock (CAr), Warmage (CAr), Scout (CAd), Spellthief (CAd), Beguiler (PH2), Duskblade (PH2), Knight (PH2), Healer (MH), Marshal (MH), Archivist (HoH), Dread Necromancer (HoH), and Factotum (Du). Alternate Class Features found in the EtCR 205 are available for PCs who wish to be members of The Lightbringers (EtCR 204). In addition, some class abilities may work differently in Ravenloft (RCS 36-44). If you don't own the RCS, I will inform you of any changes that apply to your character.
Prestige Class: Any from DMG, EtCR, and HoH are allowed.
Race: All races from the PH except the half-orc plus the caliban (RCS) and half-vistani (RCS) are allowed.
Skills: Some skills work slightly differently in Ravenloft (RCS 44-46). I will provide you with any necessary information. In addition the Hypnosis skill is available (RCS 46).
Feats: Any feats from the PH, EtCR, HoH and RCS are allowed.
Equipment: You have 13,000 gp to spend on items from the PH (including masterwork items) the EtCR 208-209, or the RCS 55-59. Magic items are hard to come by in Ravenloft. Any money leftover you may use to create a wishlist of magic items, including enhancement bonuses to masterwork equipment you own. This list can be as long as you want, but must be prioritized, as I will start at the top and approve or reject items from the top-down until your budget is spent. Items can be prioritized multiple times, if you want, such as 6 potions of cure light wounds. I will decide how many you receive. If your character is capable of crafting magic items, you may craft any item from the DMG for which you meet the prerequisites. Any XP spent will be deducted from your starting total but will not lower your level below 6th.
Hit Points: Standard (maximum at 1st-level and roll each level thereafter).
Taint: The taint rules from HoH will be in play. If you don't own the HoH, I will inform you of the effects of taint should you receive it and the means by which you can remove it. Taint is generally earned in one of three ways, 1) being exposed to a tainted area, 2) using a tainted magic item, or 3) being the subject of a tainted effect or tainted magic. Just visiting Count Strahd's castle once has the potential to increase your character's taint score so be wary.
Other Rules: Other rules from the RCS will be in play, but these will generally come into play on a case-by-case basis and having the book is not necessary to play this adventure. Be prepared for some surprises though. Things that are easy in other campaigns (like magically determining someone's alignment or crafting powerful magic items) are a bit different in Ravenloft as the Dark Powers will work against you in many ways. There is a link below to a Player Appendix which includes optional rules available for this campaign which you may use if you wish.

Rogue's Gallery
Player Appendix (optional rules for players)

Last edited:

wolfattack

First Post
I was planning to run this adventure here on enworld but i was uncertain because i'm a rookie as DM. i was planning for the players to start at level 1 and make the way up to 6th. one of the things that made me give up was the fact that i don't own the Ravenloft setting book,only this adventure. but you can count me in on this one. i would like to play as a Wizard.

Last edited:

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Yes, yes, and yes. I actually own the Hardcover but haven't read it in... well... since it came out. I'd love to run through it and see how it goes.

I've also always wanted to try the Archivist class from HoH, so I'd like to weigh in with one of those guys.

kinem

Adventurer
If there's still room, might as well :) I think I'll go sorcerer this time, if it's not a problem that there's already a wizard.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Looks like there is some interest, enough for a game anyway. Let's see what kind of character concepts people come up with.

[MENTION=6670510]wolfattack[/MENTION]: Looking to build a wizard. Will need a backup character concept as well.

[MENTION=24609]Strahd_Von_Zarovich[/MENTION]: Glad to have you aboard. Let me know what ideas you are floating around.

[MENTION=2469]rangerjohn[/MENTION]: A van Helsing type would obviously fit very well into this campaign. I don't know that a ranger is necessarily the best way to do that. There is an alternate class feature in the Ravenloft guide which gives rogues the ability to add half their sneak attack damage to creatures immune to critical hits when they are flanking. That is something you might want to consider too. Let me know what you decide upon and come up with a backup concept as well.

[MENTION=36150]Herobizkit[/MENTION]: Since you have the adventure, feel free to read all the player information from page 200-209 as that will be openly available for this campaign. For those who don't own the adventure, I will find a way to provide this information in another format. An archivist would be a very good fit in this campaign. Come up with a backup concept too.

[MENTION=24234]kinem[/MENTION]: I will take you on as the first alternate in case one of the above decides to back out. Feel free to come up with some different concepts in case you need to plug a different role.

I will take on one more alternate for those who are still interested.

Regarding the backup characters, just work out a concept. Think about race, class, origin and style, but don't worry about developing the actual stats until you have the first character done.

I will post character creation rules in the OP.

Remove ads