Expensive Movie Nights

Dioltach

Legend
When Disney's Planes was released Hertz arranged a drive-in showing on the roof of a parkin structure at Schiphol Airport, and invited 50 people with yellow cars to see it. I went with a friend and her son. It was interesting to experience, but not something I'd do regularly.

Abraxas

Explorer
$6.50 for tickets here + 2.75 for a slushy w/free refills.

However, I still don't go see many movies cause
1) The other people won't shut up
2) I don't like being crowded
3) I don't like all the damn commercials

Depends on your living situation. Drive-ins are a LOT* like "Lovers' Lane" locations.

* did I intend a pun? Hmmmmmmm...

Wouldn't it be cheaper just to go to a "Lover's Lane" location? I mean, if you're looking for privacy, and you want to get something going with your date, do you really want to do it in a place with a bunch of other people, some who are walking around, and have brought kids that are running around?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Wouldn't it be cheaper just to go to a "Lover's Lane" location? I mean, if you're looking for privacy, and you want to get something going with your date, do you really want to do it in a place with a bunch of other people, some who are walking around, and have brought kids that are running around?
Depends on where you are, if you're trying to impress your date, and how much privacy you need. (You know, like how some people like getting it on in public, so their desire for privacy is usually directed only at certain people.)

When I lived in Manhattan, KS, one of the hot spots was the hill overlooking the Handy Dan hardware store. Lots of couples out there on the same hill, "watching the new tractors come in"- and we had a fairly high teen pregnancy rate...

Depends on where you are, if you're trying to impress your date, and how much privacy you need. (You know, like how some people like getting it on in public, so their desire for privacy is usually directed only at certain people.)
There are clubs for that, but they cost a lot more than a movie ticket.

Last edited:

After going to the movies this last weekend, I am seriously considering sticking with rentals. At the end of the night, I had spent $16 for one movie. The ticket was $8, the medium soda was $4 and the medium popcorn was $4. So how much do you spend for a night at the movies?

Here in Australia you're looking for around $17-20 per adult ticket (and the AUD/US exchange rate was close to 1:1 not too long ago, not it's around 0.85:1). If you want a 3D movie it's even more than that.

So you're looking at around $35-40 for 2 adults to go the movies. I can't remember off the top of my head how much popcorn and drinks cost, but it would probably be around $10 for a combo of both. So you're looking at $50 for a night at the movies, without dinner.

As a teenager/young adult, I probably went to the movies 3-4 times a year. Since we've had kids, the wife and I don't go the movies much. The last movie I saw in the cinema was the first Hobbit movie. The wife has taken the kids to several kids movies during the holidays. The last movie we saw together would have been Monster University.

On the plus side, DVD rental prices have come down in the last few years. They're probably half the price they were before, not that we hire a lot of DVD's either.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
I honestly don't even remember how much movie tickets cost around here. I think it's somewhere around $11. When I used to go to the movies I would occasionally get something to drink but ONLY if I happened to already be really thirsty. Otherwise, no extras for me!

Now, I just Redbox it for $1.20 [soon $1.50, sadly] and possibly get some dinner or something on the way, meaning my entire night can cost somewhere between $4 and $12 depending on what exactly I decide to get and if I feel like buy precooked food or warming up a pizza in the oven.

Remove ads