Expensive Movie Nights

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
$5 Tuesdays and the pizza place next door, which is attached and adds to the rewards points, has a $5 one-topping 14" thin crust which you can take in with you. BYOBottle of water and you've got lunch / dinner and a first run movie for a sawbuck.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Don't blame the theaters too much for the prices they charge on concessions. They're a direct result of the contracts they sign with movie distribution & production companies: typically, for the first 2 weeks of a run, 90% of the ticket price goes to them, with the theater taking in the remnant. The longer a movie stays in distribution, the more the percentages in favor of the theater. But most movies run for less than a month.

IOW, those overpriced concessions are really what keep the theaters open.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I was in San Francisco last week, and on an evening alone, I took myself to the movies - $16 for the ticket, $4.50 for soda, similar for popcorn. So, $25 for one person.

These days, I go to the physical theatre for movies that 1) are supposed to be *good*, and 2) have visuals that call for the theatre or 3) I have some special attachment to for odd reasons. If it is supposed to be a mediocre flick, or a drama that really doesn't need the silver screen to have full impact, I'll wait for it to come around in some video format.

Crothian

First Post

If their business model is not sustainable that's their problem. Movies are big business and if theaters with over priced popcorn fail then Hollywood will still figure out a way to get people to watch it and then make money.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
If their business model is not sustainable that's their problem. Movies are big business and if theaters with over priced popcorn fail then Hollywood will still figure out a way to get people to watch it and then make money.

Except that it is sustainable.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

As long as people insist on going to theaters and buying concessions, there will be theaters.

Stop buying concessions and either:

1) theaters will have to find another revenue stream- parking fees?- or renegotiate their contracts with the threat of shutdowns.

2) theaters will disappear, and we'll all watch movies at home.

And 2 is FAR more likely. The question is, will people continue to see value in going out to see movies?

Personally, I don't go out to see movies that often. The last movie I saw in theaters was The Avengers in 3D...and I felt the 3D wasn't particularly worth it. But my lack of going to theaters out isn't because I don't like movies- 'cause I actually LOVE them- or the prices, but because I when I go to the movies, I like to go in a group.

For me, moviegoing is a social activity.

And currently, the group I run with almost invariably goes to see movies I want to see on nights I can't go. Or they go with their spouse & kids. So I watch them at home...eventually. Maybe.

Don't blame the theaters too much for the prices they charge on concessions. They're a direct result of the contracts they sign with movie distribution & production companies: typically, for the first 2 weeks of a run, 90% of the ticket price goes to them, with the theater taking in the remnant. The longer a movie stays in distribution, the more the percentages in favor of the theater. But most movies run for less than a month.

Yup, totally true. It seems that My Big Fat Greek Wedding was actually one of those movies that made good money for the theaters because of how long it ran for.

I worked at a theater a while back, and they make very little off of each ticket sale. Running a theater is expensive, specially if no one goes to see the movie.

was

Adventurer
I just found out they're putting in a place called Flix Brewhouse nearby. It's supposed to be a combination theater/restaurant/pub. That should be interesting, and hopefully not too pricey. It might do well if they keep it clean and reasonably priced. We used to have a similar place called Billy Joe's Pitcher show. Place was a dump..lousy sound system, bad food and sticky floors. Smelled like stale beer and cigarettes. The city eventually closed them down for health code violations.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I just found out they're putting in a place called Flix Brewhouse nearby. It's supposed to be a combination theater/restaurant/pub.

My local equivalent is Chunky's Cinema Pub. They take seats out of Lincoln Town Cars, and have a pretty full menu, and serve beer - so, a lot like a drive-in, without the hassle and with a better audio system.

Remove ads