• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Experience Allocations

BSF

Explorer
It doesn't seem like we really hashed it out on Friday, so let's open up the discussion here.

How do you want to handle experience allocation between your primaries and secondaries?

Do you want the experience to flow between the two groups transparently? This would mean that one set of characters is essentially earning exp off camera.

Do you want there to be absolutely no bleedover between the two groups? Your current character is the one earning exp and the other character doesn't see any benefit from it at all.

Do you want to compromise somewhere in the middle?

I am tempted to make it a poll and just force votes. But I am more interested in what everyone has to say about the issue. So I think I will leave this free-form. Post your thoughts and preferences.

A couple of points to remember:
  • The timelines of the two groups are not parallel right now.
  • The secondaries exist in an episodic universe for the time being.
  • The primaries have a non-episodic timeline right now where you are managing time to meet your objectives. (Though if everyone prefers more episodic styles of play, we could also change that.)
  • There is no story reason why the two groups will ever need to meet. (Though they could, depending on your actions.)
  • Because the experience variant we use slows advancement down, this would be one way to speed it back up.

I leave it up to you guys to decide. But let's get a discussion rolling.

Kultar

First Post
Like most people I enjoy having high level characters but at the same time I could see a problem if we share timelines and experience as one group could be epic by then and the other is still only pushing 10th lvl. Personally I think we should wait until we decide if we like the episodic style of play with the secondaries to see if we would want to combine the faster timelines or if we want to keep that fast and the slow seperate.

Tormal

First Post
Personally I think we should comprimise somewhere in the middle. I feel that the character's "off camera" so to say, should be getting some experience but maybe not all. This comes back to what we left off with last friday though where we could potentially earn XP through RP too. Why not a little of both? As long as the RP didn't cause problems do it! If for some reason you cant do that or whatever, at least your unused character woudld be getting SOME exp otherwise.

Macbeth

First Post
I like the idea of seperate xp, especially since the magic of the internet lets us keep roleplay going as whichever characters aren't being played. I don't mind terribly if we split xp, especially if there's some kind of limit (maybe no more then a third of the xp from a given session can go to a character that wasn't being played?). With our current play style and indefinite length of campaign, I see no reason to shuffle xp around, but if people want to, I don't mind.

I like the idea of geting the roleplaying experience only. It is fun to level up, but you want to actually go through each level with your main character. If you're suddenly a really high level, it isn't as much fun as actually gaining the experience it took to get there.

Remove ads