• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Experience for different leveled characters

geosapient

First Post
How is experience figured out between characters of the same party with differing levels? I keep hearing that the lower level character gets more experience but how do you come up with the numbers?

Our DM just uses the party average and compares that with the CR and divides that number by the number of party members. Everyone in the group then gets that amount.

Dross

Explorer
geosapient said:
How is experience figured out between characters of the same party with differing levels? I keep hearing that the lower level character gets more experience but how do you come up with the numbers?

Our DM just uses the party average and compares that with the CR and divides that number by the number of party members. Everyone in the group then gets that amount.

Your DM seems to be running 3.0 xp
3.5 has each individual get xp based on THEIR level v CR, not PARTY level v CR.

so a 3rd level PC v CR3 gets move xp than a 4th level PC v CR3.

geosapient

First Post
Dross said:
Your DM seems to be running 3.0 xp
3.5 has each individual get xp based on THEIR level v CR, not PARTY level v CR.

so a 3rd level PC v CR3 gets move xp than a 4th level PC v CR3.

Just to make sure I understand:

Character A 3rd level / Character B 4th level (assuming a 4 person party)

Party overcomes a CR 5

Character A get experience from the 3rd level CR 5 chart / 4

Character B gets experience from the 4th level CR 5 chart / 4

Is that about right?

Dross

Explorer
Thats about it.

However I don't quite run it like the book says myself, so I am not sure if the value is divided by the memebers of the party or is based for each PC individually.

MarkB

Legend
geosapient said:
Just to make sure I understand:

Character A 3rd level / Character B 4th level (assuming a 4 person party)

Party overcomes a CR 5

Character A get experience from the 3rd level CR 5 chart / 4

Character B gets experience from the 4th level CR 5 chart / 4

Is that about right?
That's correct. Each character gains the experience listed for a character of their own level, divided by the number of characters in the party.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads