• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Experience Point Award System for Exploration-Focused Play

GRStrayton

First Post
For anyone interested, here are my thoughts for encouraging an exploration-based play-style by altering the system for experience point awards. (This, of course, is just one element of an entire system -- or reskinning -- that emphasizes this play-style. Check out the rest of my blog to see more ideas that work in tandem with this one to create an exploration-style game. I'm working on a major article about adventure design that will fill in the final missing piece of my 4e play-style, hopefully coming soon!)

Experience Point Awards Revised « Legends & Labyrinths

Rune

Once A Fool
Very interesting (as is your other stuff).

But, I have a simple xp solution that I use for story (exploration) based leveling. Four minor quests equal one level gain. One major quest equals two minor quests.

I tried this with three minor quests=a level, but advancement seemed a little too fast (even though I was setting the pace).

Last edited:

GRStrayton

First Post
Very interesting (as is your other stuff).

But, I have a simple xp solution that I use for story (exploration) based leveling. Four minor quests equal one level gain. One major quest equals two minor quests.

I tried this with three minor quests=a level, but advancement seemed a little to fast (even though I was setting the pace).

Thanks!

Yours is a great alternate system, as well. I would think it would really promote storytelling elements in your games. Sounds fun!

Superking

Explorer
I would also add in my group that when RP gets going for an extended period say 30 minutes, I also reward that as if it was an encounter of the same value for their level.

I don't want to discourage RP in fact it's the opposite.

I really like what you guys are encouraging in your posts.

GRStrayton

First Post
I would also add in my group that when RP gets going for an extended period say 30 minutes, I also reward that as if it was an encounter of the same value for their level.

I don't want to discourage RP in fact it's the opposite.

I really like what you guys are encouraging in your posts.

Totally in agreement with giving bonus XP for great roleplaying! In the shorter term, I also give bonuses (usually +2) to specific checks or attacks for great roleplaying/great description of a character's actions.

Remove ads