• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Experience points gained?

Korgan26

First Post
Hm. The PC's had a 62,000gp item. At 7th level, that should represent more than the total wealth of 3 PC's.

Actually 8,700. and it is possible that only one can be thrown at a time that really never came into question

thanks for the imput.

Z

Magic Slim

First Post
Korgan26 said:
Hm. The PC's had a 62,000gp item. At 7th level, that should represent more than the total wealth of 3 PC's.

Actually 8,700. and it is possible that only one can be thrown at a time that really never came into question

thanks for the imput.

Z

Sorry, I meant the cube of force. You are correct about the price of the necklace.

Slim

Nifft

Penguin Herder
CR is an ESTIMATE of how hard a particular monster is ON AVERAGE.

EL is the SPECIFIC rating of a configuration of layout, monster strengths, tactics, and dis/ad-vantages for the opponents. However, it is still an ESTIMATE.

You give PCs XP for OVERCOMING CHALLENGES, not for killing monsters -- unless you restrict your set of challenges to only that specific type of challenge.

-- N

zenld

First Post
S'mon said:
I believe in 3e PCs who die & and are raised get XP for the encounter (but lose a level) -

The DMG states:
"Divide the total XP among all the characters who started the encounter."

Characters that died or were otherwise incapacitated (and therefore unable to participate in that encounter) before the encounter receive no XP.

As to you being a sick DM, i don't think so. If you were truly a sick DM you would have had them all die. Of course facing low CR creatures. So their defeat and death would have been humiliating as well.

Just my thoughts.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Hm. Well, the price of the items notwithstanding, the PCs didn't make it through by being terribly tricky, or by using lots of their abilities. They made it through by being lucky and/or through a misreading of the rules.

Either way, I don't see as the PCs really had opportunity to learn from the encounter, so they probably shouldn't get a whole lot of XP for it. This is typical of surviving such a challenge. To quote the 3e DMG, pg 166:

"The XP chart doesn't support awards for encounters eight or more Challenge Ratings above the party's level. If the party is taking on challenges that far above their level, something strange is going on, and the DM needs to think carefully about the awards rather than just taking them off a table. See Assigning Ad Hoc XP Awards."

So, the correct answer is not Dimwhit's "Extend the table". Nor is it Magic Slim's "No XP". The DM needs to consider an Ad Hoc award.

Last edited:

Zogg

First Post
ad hoc it! It really is best just to ad hoc all XP anyway. If people complain that you are giving them too little (or for some weird reason too much), just tell them to stop meta-gaming! XP is yours to hand out, and if you want to give them enough to gain more than a level you can. I say "feh" to the rules lawyers, do what j00 want.

Remove ads