• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Experience with the Mysterious Tower

Doctor DM

First Post
I'm strongly considering running the Mysterious Tower (Dungeon Crawl Classics #3).

Just wondering if anyone has run or played it, some good and bad things about it, and just how it generally went.

Grimstaff

Explorer
My group went through the ruins part pretty quick and the tower/dungeons part with few hitches, but did get bogged down a bit solving the forcefield puzzle. All in all, it was a good time, just be prepared to spoon-feed them a bit if they don't pick up on the puzzle quickly enough to keep play steaming along.

Ant

First Post
I DMed a small group through The Mysterious Tower late last year. One of the players kindly wrote a narrative about the adventure which I compiled and added to and then posted up on the Enworld Story Hour Forum here (skip the first post if you want to go straight to the story).

I made some minor and not-so-minor changes to the adventure. Overall the players had a great time and I had a lot of fun DMing it. There was one puzzle that caused one player (the author of the narrative, actually) some angst, though. :)

Anyway, I'd recommend having a read of the Story Hour (I think it's a very enjoyable read, myself) -- I'm more than happy to answer any specific questions you have.

Doctor DM

First Post
Ant said:
I DMed a small group through The Mysterious Tower late last year. One of the players kindly wrote a narrative about the adventure which I compiled and added to and then posted up on the Enworld Story Hour Forum here (skip the first post if you want to go straight to the story).

I made some minor and not-so-minor changes to the adventure. Overall the players had a great time and I had a lot of fun DMing it. There was one puzzle that caused one player (the author of the narrative, actually) some angst, though. :)

Anyway, I'd recommend having a read of the Story Hour (I think it's a very enjoyable read, myself) -- I'm more than happy to answer any specific questions you have.

Man, that's a good story hour. Thanks.

Remove ads