Experiences with Weapons of Legacy

Crothian

First Post
Interesting. Was there any balancing factor (beyond time) you used? They seem potent compared to "normal" items, but not as much as the penalties would have you think.

Not really. D&D never punished PCs for having magical items before (except with artifacts and cursed items) and I didn't like that it did that here. Sure, they were powerful but not all magic items are created equal anyway so we always had items that were more powerful then others.

Coldwyn

First Post
Legacy weapons are actually quite good and well balanced when keeping some things in mind: They seem to be designed with standard wealth-by-level in mind. When strictly playing by the rules, a fighter with a legacy sword that scales well up to lvl 20, having adequate money for his level, can compensate quite well for the disadvantages, because he has a fair amount of money more to spent (more or less the difference to not having to buy a adequate sword for his level). The disadvantage system forces the player to spent his extra money on the specific items used to counter the disadvantages.
If a dm doesn´t stick to the money-per-level rules, than the disadvantages need to be modified to reflect the difference.

pawsplay

Hero
No. Surely that honour must belong to the Epic Level Handbook? ;)

Not even close, IMO. Seriously. At least with the ELH, you can simply excise the 90% of the material that you don't like and use the remaining snippets. With the WoL, you have to do that and then revise everything that's left to make sense.

pawsplay

Hero
Make that a 3-way fight for 2nd last place with Savage Species? :lol:

Ironically, I liked the idea behind SS, but felt that the execution was extremely bad. Worse - it came out right before 3.5, thus invalidating quite a bit of material.

Actually, I kind of like Savage Species. It wasn't perfect, but considering the circumstances, how could it be? File it under "noble experiment."

As for weapons of legacy, why do I get this feeling said book could easily have been a web enhancement, but the designers decided to try and bloat it so they could package it as another splatbook? :p

"Let's use that!"
"Uh, seriously, these were some ideas we were kicking around. I'm not quite sure if they're ready to..."
"Just do it. I know you guys can make it work."
"We're not even entirely sure..."
"Zip it."
"But..."
"Zip!"

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
Make that a 3-way fight for 2nd last place with Savage Species? :lol: (snip)

Hehe. You may have a point there but I hope you agree Epic Level Handbook is the worst. ;)

As for weapons of legacy, why do I get this feeling said book could easily have been a web enhancement, but the designers decided to try and bloat it so they could package it as another splatbook? :p

Or a Dragon article.

Dausuul

Legend
The fundamental fail of Weapons of Legacy was this:

The Problem: Because of the way wealth by level works, PCs tend not to stick with the same weapon; they swap out any time they get a chance at a better one.

The Solution: Create weapons that are cheap enough to give to low-level characters, level up along with their wielders, yet are balanced at their original price (plus a few relatively small ritual costs) due to feat costs and stat penalties.

The Problem With The Solution: If the weapon is balanced at its original price, that means it has to be weaker than a higher-priced weapon available later on. If you're a 3E weapon-user, your weapon is your absolute top priority; you can expect to invest (IME) about 50% of your WBL in it. Using a Weapon of Legacy means you are denied the chance to make such an investment, which is a major penalty in itself.

Weapons of Legacy could have worked, if the designers had bit the bullet and applied a suitable gold-piece cost; make it so the price you pay for a ritual to improve your Weapon of Legacy is comparable to the price you'd pay to upgrade a regular weapon of similar level. Make sure the upgrades are sensible ones that a real weapon-user might find attractive. Then adjust the price downward somewhat, or throw in a few extras, to account for the loss of flexibility.

Something like this:

Sword of Frosty Death (8,000 gp)
When found, the sword of frosty death is a +1 frost greatsword. The wielder can gain the ability to use it as a more powerful weapon by making offerings of silver and white gems to the mighty snow demons. The rituals to improve it are as follows:

• First Rite: Sacrifice 24,000 gp worth of silver and gems. While you wield it, the sword is now a +3 frost greatsword; you gain cold resistance 10; and you can ignore terrain penalties due to snow and ice.
  • Second Rite: Sacrifice 40,000 gp worth of silver and gems. While you wield it, the sword is now a +5 frost greatsword; your cold resistance increases to 20; and you can cast wall of ice once per day as a sorceror of your level.
  • Third Rite: Sacrifice 56,000 gp worth of silver and gems. While you wield it, the sword is now a +5 keen icy burst greatsword; your cold resistance increases to 30; and you can cast freezing sphere once per day as a sorceror of your level.
  • Fourth Rite: Sacrifice 72,000 gp worth of silver and gems. While you wield it, the sword is now a +5 keen icy burst greatsword of wounding; you are immune to cold; you can cast polar ray once per day as a sorceror of your level; and once per year you can cast summon deranged mutant killer monster snow goon (see Spells of Legacy).

Last edited:

coyote6

Adventurer
Actually I think it originally WAS a Dragon article. It was called like level up your weapons or something?

IIRC, the Dragon article wasn't much like WoL at all. I think the Dragon article was more like the OA Samurai's ability to increase his ancestral weapon's powers. Steve Kenson wrote the Dragon article, I believe.

Garnfellow

Explorer
How can Deities and Demigods not be considered as a contender in the four way race for ultimate suckdom? Most of that book is a monumental waste of time. WotC created parallel divine and epic rules that really weren't very compatible, even though they clearly should have interacted.

ELH is certainly a worthy challenger for title of worst book. But then, I've actually seen people use epic rules. (And the atropal is almost cool enough to make the book worth it.)

I don't think I've seen anyone use the divine rules. And even though the divine rules are in the SRD, did any 3PP ever use them?

Remove ads