• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Expert Classes - Rules Glossary

I agree, the Influence action is a nice addition and I know a lot of people wanted a better framework for stuff like that. Using the word 'hostile' is the only problem. I can see that being what you call a creature that wants to attack you on sight or what you call a creature that opposes you but isn't necessarily attacking you. People will have to get used to it or maybe WotC finds a thesaurus and picks something else.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I agree, the Influence action is a nice addition and I know a lot of people wanted a better framework for stuff like that. Using the word 'hostile' is the only problem. I can see that being what you call a creature that wants to attack you on sight or what you call a creature that opposes you but isn't necessarily attacking you. People will have to get used to it or maybe WotC finds a thesaurus and picks something else.
It’s just a reframing of the rules for social interactions that already exist in the 2014 DMG (attitudes, including hostile, among them).

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
So about shield and armor and being not proficient:

"If you equip a Shield and lack Armor Training with Shields, you don’t gain the Armor Class bonus of the Shield."

I believe this is new. I'll note that I like it, because I have trained with a shield and yup, if you don't know what you are doing it totally isn't worth it :)

Baumi

Adventurer
Some interesting bits...

Jump is a Strenght (Acrobatics or Athletics) check. I don't think I have ever seen an official Check that allows you two different Skills and both with the same Attribute, where one Skill is linked to another (Acrobatics to Dex).

Heroic Inspiration gives you Advantage .. but AFTER you rolled the d20.

Long Rest heals ALL Hit Dice now.

That's what it's saying. And your jumping distance has a 19ft variance any time you try it.
It's strange because I don't think I've ever come across negative feedback with the jump rules in 5e. At most an issue with the numbers but that's a minor thing. It's an odd thing to change. Perhaps it was a change necessitated by other rule changes that we'll see later?

If they do keep this I would prefer you get half distance on a fail. Have at least some benefit for people who invest in Strength, Athletics, and Acrobatics.

Remove ads