• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Extradimensional Space in an Extradimensional Space, What Happens?

jeff37923

First Post
The spell Rope Trick has a note at the end of it which states that it is dangerous to create and extradimensional space inside of another extradimensional space, but it does not say what happens or why. The rules for mixing a nondimensional space and an extradimensional space are pretty clear (see both Portable Hole and Bag of Holding), but nothing about an extradimensional space interacting with another one.

So, what do you all think happens?

EDIT: I just read on WotC where Skip Williams recommends that this just be ignored. I don't think that option would be nearly as much fun as if something catastrophic happened.

Last edited:

darthkilmor

First Post
jeff37923 said:
The spell Rope Trick has a note at the end of it which states that it is dangerous to create and extradimensional space inside of another extradimensional space, but it does not say what happens or why. The rules for mixing a nondimensional space and an extradimensional space are pretty clear (see both Portable Hole and Bag of Holding), but nothing about an extradimensional space interacting with another one.

So, what do you all think happens?

Whatever the plot and DM think would be fun. A rip in the fabric of time ejecting evil twin versions of the party would be fun.
Or shoot everyone to the astral plane.
Or a moon.
Or Inevitables appear.
Or an explosion that makes the caster lose the ability to cast spells for awhile.
Or when the exit the rope trick its in a vastly different part of the world, or an parallel universe world(the whole Sliders thing).
Or it creates a Gate from which invading armies start to pour through, and the PC's have to fix it.
Or nothing at all.

I'd say either all of creation immediately ceases to exist, or absolutely nothing happens.

Edit: In true Gygaxian fashion, which result occurs should be determined by a random die roll.

Remove ads