• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Extrapolating Character Generation info from the Pre-Gens

WSmith

First Post
Has anyone tried to deconstruct the the current Pre-gens so that you could play a human fighter or an elven wizard? My group has had me thinking about this. So far, what we know is that

Humans: +1 to every ability score; an additional +1 to an ability score of their choice.*

Dwarves: Dwarven Resilience; Low-light vision; Speed; and Stonecunning.
Hill Dwarf: Do they get a +1 to STR??
Mountain Dwarf: ?

Elves (High): Not sure what ability score they get a +1 to. Free Spirt; Keen Senses; Low-Light vision.

Halflings (Lightfoot): Lucky, Naturally Stealthy. +1 to DEX?

*I know that humans get this because I asked when I called the DM hotline.

Does anyone know from previous posts or discussion what the ability score bonuses are for the other races and if they are modified for classes? If we can get that hammered out, we can create other characters. I have not crunched the math for an ability score point array, but for a random array, I would recommend 3d6 or 4d6 drop the lowest, arranged to taste based upon the scores I see on the character sheets.

Everything you need for the classes are on the character sheets. It is a matter of figuring out the ability score generation method and the racial ability score modifiers (and if modifiers for class, also) and then we are ready to make new characters under this release of the playtest.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
I think it's all been figured out.

They all use the same ability array. Classes give +1 to the prime requisite. You can check the sheets to see what the racial bonuses are, but I think the Hill Dwarf gets CON and the Mountain Dwarf gets STR.

The Halfling gets a higher damage die for the sling. The Mountain Dwarf gets a higher damage die for his warhammer, and the Hill Dwarf gets a higher Hit Die.

WSmith

First Post
I think it's all been figured out.

They all use the same ability array. Classes give +1 to the prime requisite. You can check the sheets to see what the racial bonuses are, but I think the Hill Dwarf gets CON and the Mountain Dwarf gets STR.

The Halfling gets a higher damage die for the sling. The Mountain Dwarf gets a higher damage die for his warhammer, and the Hill Dwarf gets a higher Hit Die.

The sheets don't say what the ability score modifiers are. However, if the same array is used for all characters, that shouldn't be so hard to figure out.

Now that you mention it, when I called the DM Hotline, the guy did say that the Mountain Dwarf gets a +1 to heavy armor, hence why he has a higher AC than the fighter. That might mean there are other skills and talents that are already figured into the character sheet that we wouldn't know about.

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
The characters use the standard array 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8.
It is then quite trivial to work out the race/class bonuses (with a modicum of common sense).

Li Shenron

Legend
Assuming that there are no typos in the character sheets, here's what I can tell (but you'll see that there's a couple of thing I am still misunderstanding):

- you are all right about the ability bonuses from class and race
- weapon proficiency grants +2 in attack rolls
- spell proficiency grants +2 in spell attack rolls (this one was explicitly mentioned)
- high elves get +1 to all magical attacks
- rogues get increased damage die for dagger
- hill dwarves get increased damage die for warhammer
- mountain dwarf gets a +2 bonus to AC, perhaps only applicable to heavy armor
- halfling get increased damage die for sling
- it seems there is no bonus spells/day from high ability score, but it's hard to tell for sure
- starting speed is 30 for humans and elves, 25 for dwarves and halflings
- no bonus languages for high Int, just Common + race own language
- mountain dwarves may get increased damage die for greataxe (2d6 slightly better than 1d12 but I do think this one is a typo, in fact all races at this point already got one bonus somewhere)

I instead cannot explain yet the source for the additional +1 to all Fighter's attacks (beyond ability bonus + weapon proficiency) and +2 to all Fighter's damage (beyond ability bonus + weapon focus). I can't believe these are bonuses from Hill Dwarf and neither from the Reaper feat, they would be too good to all weapons and the race/feat would be quite too powerful IMHO...

So I'm inclined to say that they both are Fighter features, the additional +1 to attacks might be the usual BAB (+0 to all other classes), but note that it does not increase in the next 2 levels. The +2 damage could be a replacement from a fixed or slowly increasing BAB, and in fact it does increase by +1 at level 3.

Finally, I've heard about the increased HD for the Hill Dwarf, but I am not sure... it feels a bit odd that they get this in addition to Con bonus, when they could have just given +2 to Con (I know it's not exactly the same). Why can't it be simply that the base Fighter HD is d12?

Remove ads