• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eye of Profane Truth

Rkhet

First Post
A lurid dream, of gods and demons, barely remembered, fading.

You wake to the sound of waves.

You sit up, look around. You are at a beach, but there is no wind, no cry of seabirds, only the gentle sound of waves. The sand beneath you is fine-grained, gray like volcanic ash. Looking inland, you see an endless, flat expanse of gray sand, stretching into the horizon. To your west is the sea, and the water, too, looked gray, blending in the distance with the gray sky. The setting sun, muted red against all the colourlessness, seems to bleed into the ocean. Straining your eyes, you see a wharf to your south, the only hint of human existance in a featureless landscape.

You are not alone. Three figures are picking themselves up off the sand as you are. You instinctively know that they are your siblings, created from the same divine energies.

Pyrex

First Post
Lessa lies in the sand, the surf washing over her toes, and her eyes open. The first thing her new eyes see is the setting sun; a splash of red across a world that so far appears to be only gray.

Sitting up she sees some things scattered nearby. Somehow she knows they are hers and begins picking them up and putting them on.

She shivers as a chill breeze sweeps in from the ocean; and, almost without thought, she invokes an Endure Elements to keep warm.

She sees the others, and there is a tickling sensation at the back of her mind, like she should know them. But something is not right, it almost feels as if she is looking at poorly drawn pictures of people she once knew long ago. But how could she have known them long ago when she has only known the past few moments? Why do they look so familiar but also so disturbingly wrong?

She tries to speak, but, bewildered, she barely manages a croak "Where?"

Nephtys

First Post

"In Hell."

A young man with a pained expression answers in a cold and despairing tone. "We are in Hell. Not the true Hell, but Hell nevertheless. Torn away...

This place... it shouldn't be."

He rises onto his knees and looks out over the sea. "I do not understand."

Albedo

First Post
The freak awakens to a feeling of nausia. His horribly mutated body aches a little. So is the price of perfection. Without getting up, he senses the other beings nearby. He decides to pretend he is still asleep and observe his companions. One should be careful of those around him.

silentspace

First Post
Rhakzan feels the ground gingerly. This wasn't right, feeling gravity like this. He should be floating in the ether. The ground just felt wrong...

Rhakzan studies the others as if they were objects, not living creatures. He considers dominating them, or assassinating them. Then he feels it. These creatures, hideous as they might be, were his kin, his siblings even. It was a revolting thought.

But there, to the south, was a wharf, something that human or humanoids made.

"Let us go to the wharf. There will be beings there, beings for us to enslave or kill."

With that, Rhakzan's form shifts, taking on the appearance of a grizzled old human fisherman, and starts walking south.

Pyrex

First Post
As Rahkzan speaks, Lessa wonders at the instant and deep contempt in his voice. What had these humans done to earn his emnity? Surely they could not be responsible for all the dim, gray coldness she was being forced to endure, could they?

Having no answers, nor knowing where to find them, Lessa turns and follows Rahkzan, her arms wrapped around herself, still shivering in the cold; neither her tattered clothing nor her spells doing anything to warm her.

silentspace

First Post
ooc: ethergaunts consider humanity to be a plague that's infesting their world. they consider it still theirs even though they haven't had a presence on the material plane for thousands of years.

Albedo

First Post
Ah, so there are more here. Cann gets up and follows his other two companions. I must learn as much as I can. The key to absolute perfection won't find itself. The freak hangs back from them though, and keeps an eye out for what his other sibling is up to. There is much to learn in so little time.

Rkhet

First Post
As you move towards the wharf, you notice a lone figure, a middle-aged man in simple clothes, sitting on the wharf with a fishing rod, humming to himself.

You move closer, wondering whether to call out to him.

He speaks, not bothering to turn around. The sound seemed to originate from just beside your ear.

"Ah. I see you are all awake."

"You have questions. Ask."

Albedo

First Post
"I guess the most obvious question would be 'What are we doing here?', but I'm more interested in what you have to offer me if I perform whatever service you have summoned/created me for." This one is different. I figure there may be a great deal of power to be had here. He may be the one to get me closer to my goal of ultimate perfection.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads