Eyes of the Lich Queen

Crothian

First Post
I'm just interested because of the War of the Mark. Does it have anything on the aberrant dragonmarks and those people and how they were used? I'm starting an all aberrant dragonmark Eberron campaign and just looking for other info out there on it all.

Nlogue

First Post
VorpalBunny said:
Do it! It would be great to *finally* have an Eberron adventure for characters 10th level and above (I'm assuming of course that "Hells Heart" takes place after the final battle in "Lich Queen").

Hey VorpalBunny!

Actually "Hell's Heart" was intended to be the third installment in a "trilogy" of adventures I was working on for Dungeon, before the magazine got canceled.

The first adventure is called "Chimes at Midnight" (Issue #133 of Dungeon)

The second adventure is called "Quoth the Raven" (upcoming in Issue #150)

"Hell's Heart" was the final wrap-up adventure to the series...but now it will not appear in Dungeon (obviously) so I guess it ends with "Quoth the Raven" unless WotC lets me do "HH" as a 32 pager or whatnot.

Glyfair

Explorer
Crothian said:
I'm just interested because of the War of the Mark. Does it have anything on the aberrant dragonmarks and those people and how they were used? I'm starting an all aberrant dragonmark Eberron campaign and just looking for other info out there on it all.

OK, here us the plot. I'm not sure why I'm using the spoiler tag since the MoH is dead, but someone out there might conceivably run it.

Spoilers
The Digger's Guild (the PCs organization in the campaign) are hired to retrieve an artifact by a "mysterious benefactor." An earthquake has made an opening to lower Sharn and the PCs have a limited amount of time to explore the area before authorities find it and close it off (apparently standard operating procedure in Sharn).

When the PCs get there they find a group of House Tarkannen people camped outside the opening. They can attack or interact with the group.

When the PCs enter the opening things fade shortly thereafter and they find themselves in the bottom of a tower. What they don't initially know is they are in the bodies of people with Aberrant Marks during the War of the Mark. The tower is being attack by the comined fury of the houses.

You give the PCs story object cards that describe their dragonmark, it's ability, and a word that repeats in their mind (for example, the card that gives you "jump" has "twitch" repeating in their mind).

The PCs fight their way to the top of the tower encounter various obstacles, mostly from the dragonmarked house, including the Glyphweaver and Vadalis Bloodswarm. They also encounter an aberrant that drives in the fact that aberrant marks can be curses. They meet an aberrant who has been driven mad by his mark.

Finally they reach the top of the tower where a defense is in progress. Eventually they meet the Dreambreaker (a gnome with a powerful aberrant mark). If they touch his focus (the Delirium Stone) during the encounter, they return to the present and find they are in the room with the Delirium Stone, which is important in future adventures (the person who hired them is a descendant of the Dreammaker, apparently with the same aberrant mark).

They don't give the dreambreakers marks ability except when enhanced by the Delirium Stone (but do note it is far more powerful than any known today).

The aberrant mark (enhanced by the stone) allows him to:

Cast Confusion at will.
Cast Insanity at will.
Gives him a mental blast.
Uses Cha to modify hit points rather than Con.
"Sense Thoughts" gives him blindsense in a 60' radius, but only to detect living, sentient creatures.
"Shattering Touch" has the combined effects of Phantasmal Killer and Feeblemind.
If the Dreambreaker is ever killed, the Delirium Stone destroys his mind.
"Tower of the Mind" creates a mental repulsion that gives him a deflection bonus to AC equal to his CHA bonus (+7 in his case).
Additional undefined powers (i.e. plot elements).

DM_Jeff

Explorer
Got it today and am reading through it. I'm truly impressed, mostly because it addresses a lot of concerns I had about "the future of hacking" as laid out in Red Hand of Doom. RHoD was an excellent adventure, but left you breathless and beaten after chapter 1. The PCs had no time to explore their own interests because the timeline was so tight, and the combats were brutal, bloody, and constant.

Eyes of the Lich Queen gives plenty of exploratory room between quests. It divides up loaction and site-based areas for adventure, contains plenty of roleplaying encounters, and the combats are dangerous and differently challenging without being some sort of gauntlet to kill stuff quicker and quicker until you die! ;)

Great job so far. EDIT: And as I mentioned elsewhere, all the monsters have their origin book listed with page reference for those who missed that feature of WotC's recent releases.

-DM Jeff

DM_Jeff said:
Great job so far. EDIT: And as I mentioned elsewhere, all the monsters have their origin book listed with page reference for those who missed that feature of WotC's recent releases.

-DM Jeff

Thank goodness. My axe was getting wicked sharp grinding against that particular point. Anyone know if the same fix was applied for Demonweb?

Q: How portable beyond Eberron is it? I don't run Eberron, but the title "Lich Queen" has my interest.

Crothian

First Post
Olgar Shiverstone said:
Q: How portable beyond Eberron is it? I don't run Eberron, but the title "Lich Queen" has my interest.

I think it would be tough. There are many Eberron elements in it that are pretty big.

Spoilers
The players get dragon marks, they need to break into Dreadhold (a huge prison), they are aided by the Dragon prophecy, they travel from the jungle to a dragon only continent, it makes use of the Blood of Vol and Emerald Claw too. The module is looking for an item that basically can control dragons. It is possible to work around all of this but hard. And the Lich Queen herself really doesn't have a lot of on camera time here.
spoiler ends

Remove ads