• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Faerie Encounters

johndaw16

Explorer
Hey Crowking let me start off with saying that I've loved your hardwork detailing the fae. Personally I find your treatment of them far more realistic and useful than any of the stuff in WOTC material. I even incorporated a modified version of some of your examples in my modern d20 game. It really went well as a change of pace from zombies and horror, and one of my players really got into it. But anyways if you want to hear more about that I can tell you later.

I'm going to need to steadily incorporate more and more of the fae into my modern campaign and I hoped that I could get some of your expertise. It's an urban setting, with a fair mix of suburbia and a college campus so I think there are a lot of potential venues where fae could show up. I like to keep them mysterious, slightly ominous and definately alien to what the PCs are normally used to. Let me know if you'd be interested in coming up with an adventure or encounter or even just some tips and ideas. You can respond to this post or contact me at jpreyn@wm.edu. Thanks. Later.

John

johndaw16

Explorer
Well RC the game has generally been a horror campaign with low-magic and a gritty feel. So far most of what the PCs encounter is completely foreign to them and I put a lot of emphasis on the mysterious and unexplainable. The campaign is what I'd characterize as suburban, its set in the Newport News area of Va. I'm not sure if that helps you much, but Newport News is largely urban but theres still a large amount of rural/undeveloped land in the nearby area and the group travels around a lot. But theres definately nothing truly urban in the area like NYC, Boston, or Chicago. I really like the idea of pollution twisted fae, that sounds cool. I've already had them encounter a number of pretty minor fae, most nature related spirits. But these all had a really random feel to them, I'd be interested in something that was more than just a short one time encounter. Hope some of that helps. Thanks again.

John

johndaw16

Explorer
No they're not, they all have been introduced to the boards but they don't have much interest or time to devote to them. I had one just join recently though so she could post a short piece for my SH about her PC. But other than that they don't frequent the boards at all.

John

johndaw16

Explorer
Like I said before the game takes place both in game and out of game in the greater Penisula area of Va. This area is located in the South East of Virginia. Not many people have heard of Newport News, but hopefully you'll recognize places like Williamsburg, Yorktown, Norfolk and Virginia Beach. These are all the more notable locations in the area that the game is set in. Newport News is mainly a mid-sized suburban blue-collar town, hence its anonymity. In RL we game at the College of William and Mary.

John

Quickleaf

Legend
I really liked the story of the Stagman that you crafted. Do you already have a backstory about the White Lady who haunts the stand of birch where the Red Bull is buried? I was thinking something like....

The Legend of the White Lady
At the southern end of town is a bridge over the creek. Children often are seen lying down on the bridge trying to reach something underneath -- a white scarf. This scarf belonged to the White Lady who died fifty years ago. Maybell suffered from bouts of melanchoy since her mother's death, and the only solace she had was tending the sacred grove of birch trees a circle of druids had entrusted to her family. Then, Maybell met a young man and fell in love. The night before the wedding, Maybell learned that her fiance's uncle was blackmailing him to marry her. It was for the sacred grove. Legally, the property would become his, and then the wicked uncle would coerce his nephew to cut the trees down and sell them as religious icons and other "holy pieces of carpentry." What happened that fateful night, no one seems to know, but young Maybell died dressed in her wedding dress. Some folks say she tried to hang herself but she fell into the river, her scarf left behind. Others say she ran from her fiance in horror on learning the truth, and as she ran through a windstorm, her scarf was caught underneath the bridge. Everyone knows her as the ghostly "White Lady" who appears on foggy nights by the strand of birch trees to protect them from greedy businessmen. The White Lady is deeply connected to the trees, combining the features of a ghost and dryad. As the trees provide her solace thinking of her mother (her truest wish is to meet her mother, but alas she cannot move on to heaven until she feels the grove is adequately protected). She has sworn to protect any dead buried in the grove (the Red Bull), and not to harm anyone who looks upon the birch trees and remembers a loved one. Other protections from the White Lady include dressing as a bride, but wielding symbols of faith is uneffective as she was a faithful woman in life. Anyone returning her scarf to her will be mistaken as either her fiance (man) or her mother (woman).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads