• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Faerie Encounters

DM_Fiery_Fist

First Post
That's an excellent story arc, Raven, you have an excellent gift for tying various plot themes together. I must admit, I've been rather inspired by your work (especially the new article), so I have decided to include a powerful fey creature in my own campaign. I'm running a Forgotten Realms game and I'm using the Perilous Gateways supplements on the Wizards of the Coast website ( http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/pg20020605x ). The characters have slain an evil druid (Thurghom) who guarded a portal of standing stones on an arctic island in the middle of a northern sea. Amusingly enough, the party has been split up. One group activated the standing stones portal and went through - unfortunately the portal went out after that and the other half of the group has been stranded on the isle. They're pretty high level, but I'm going to throw them an unexpected surprise. The standing stones are a location that is ripe for faerie activity. Therefore, I'm crafting a faerie guide to emerge from the stones. Since faeries represent natural things, I'm planning on patterning him after an arctic hare. I'm thinking that he might be the rightful guardian of the island, but the druid has kept him at bay for many years. Therefore, he's quite grateful that the party has slaughtered the druid. I haven't worked out the full story arc yet, but I'm hoping to inject a dose of the fey into the game. The standing stones surround a sinkhole, which I think fits the well symbolism quite "well". One of the rangers in the party has expressed a distinct interest in the fey in her backstory, so it works out well for her. The story arc ought to be fairly interesting, I'm hoping to send the party off to Faerieland for a little while. It's an online game, so running split groups is manageable. Anyhow, I just wanted to let you know some of the ideas that your work has inspired. If you have any suggestions, they would also be greatly appreciated. I'll probably draw heavily on a lot of the faerie tales you've referenced here, Raven.

Once again, an excellent thread,

Josh

DM_Fiery_Fist

First Post
Thanks, Raven - those are some excellent ideas. I'll flesh out the trickster aspect of the rabbit and give him a more nefarious edge, which will allow for a great deal of roleplaying. I'll let you know how things develop, it ought to prove an interesting encounter.

DM_Fiery_Fist

First Post
Well, I've been working out the story arc, and I decided that the sinkhole would serve as a Portal to the Land of Faerie under the proper conditions. The hare/trickster faerie is a sort of faerie guardian of the gateway - he was bound there long ago because he was dangerous. He tells the characters to call him Mistear, which is a Gaelic word for "cunning". I gave him levels of bard as well and I'm going to use him as a plot device for a PC bard in the group. However, in an unexpected twist, I've already had one character manage to activate the portal and come into the Land of Faerie. However, I'm not yet sure how I will tackle an arctic faerieland. I thought I might draw upon the books of Narnia written by C.S. Lewis, as I seem to recall that Narnia was once swathed in winter. Any other suggestions for sources?

DM_Fiery_Fist

First Post
Thanks for the suggestions, Raven. I've been doing some research and that turned up precisely what I was after. If it's okay by you, I'll post the work I do on my encounters and share my ideas in this thread. I'm not very familiar with forum etiquette, so if I should post it elsewhere, let me know.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads