Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser?

Elodan

Adventurer
I'd like to read some of the stories about Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser. My understanding is that they are out of print. Of course, there are ways of finding out of print books. Can someone tell me the books I should look for and the order you should read them?

Also, are the Lankhmar tales just about F&GM or do they contain other leading characters?

Thanks.

Ibram

First Post
Actualy, your in luck... Dark Horse has just started reprinting the stories. The first book, 'Lankhmar Book 1: Swords and Deviltry' has alreay come out.

Last edited:

XO

First Post
F & GM

The Internet is rife with areas where these great classics can be found.

The Lankhmar bits really only concern them. Leiber did write other fine material, some sci-fi and some touching on horror, or satire, but little else (to the best of my knowledge) that involves fantasy.

Make sure you also read Clark Ashton Smith... Well worth it!

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
The books that really matter are, in order they should be read:

Swords and Deviltry
Swords Against Death
Swords in the Mist
Swords and Wizardry
The Swords of Lankhmar
Swords and Ice Magic

Another book of stories was published quite a bit later titled The Knight and Knave of Swords, but it is in my opinion of substantially lower quality than the first six. I don't consider it canon. But I am notably obstinate in that regard.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Dark Horse has started to reprint the books, but publishers have a bad habit of either stopping before getting through all the books or doing a very limited print run of the last few books. I will believe DH is doing a full reprint when I have all of the books in my hot little hands.

(DH, which I normally like as a company, has already let two of their Red Sonja collections go out of print, for instance.)

Fast Learner

First Post
barsoomcore said:
Another book of stories was published quite a bit later titled The Knight and Knave of Swords, but it is in my opinion of substantially lower quality than the first six. I don't consider it canon. But I am notably obstinate in that regard.
Substantially lower quality. They were nice to have just to see my favorite characters in additional adventures, but the story quality was way, way less than the originals.

BadMojo

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Dark Horse has started to reprint the books, but publishers have a bad habit of either stopping before getting through all the books or doing a very limited print run of the last few books. I will believe DH is doing a full reprint when I have all of the books in my hot little hands.

Well, DH seems to be releasing them fairly aggressively. Book 1 was released around December '06 and I believe Book 2 is on schedule for March or April. Like you, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping to see all the books reprinted.

Elodan

Adventurer
Thanks for the info. I just picked up DH Swords and Deviltry last night.

I'll be keeping an eye on the publishing schedule.

Remove ads