• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fair Trade?

Arthur Tealeaf

First Post
Is it fair trade for a cleric to drop medium and heavy armor proficiencies and gain alchemy as a class skill and maybe an extra skill point per level (not multiplied at first level)

I also want some more skill points and proficiency in a pistol (Lantan Gnome from Forgotten Realms)

Altalazar

First Post
That's certainly not outrageous. Basically it is like trading two feats for an extra 20 skill points over the life of the character and making a cross class skill a class skill. Given the bonus already given to gnomes for alchemy, it certainly would fit.

Since there are feats that essentially give the equivalent of 4 skill points (+2 to two skills) that is 8 points right there, though they are not tied to level like regular skill points are, so they are more powerful.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Arthur Tealeaf said:
... an extra skill point per level (not multiplied at first level)
It should be multiplied at first level; otherwise, I'd have a problem with it, rules-wise.

Arthur Tealeaf

First Post
Re: Re: Fair Trade?

Darkness said:
It should be multiplied at first level; otherwise, I'd have a problem with it, rules-wise.

Great!

Thankyou! I'll do that!

I have no problem with him being an alchemist-cleric instead of a combat-cleric, because thats kind of the point!

Thanks to you all!:D

Sincerely,

A vampire slaying-alchemist gnome.

Geoff Watson

First Post
Be careful with allowing trades like this.

Medium and Heavy armour proficiencies aren't that great; and giving them up means nothing to many characters.
If the character takes a level of Fighter (or Paladin etc) he gets the feats back anyway; If the character has a really high Dex then Light armour is better anyway.

Geoff.

Crothian

First Post
I allow some trading like this of weapons and armor. A house rule I have is that multi classing does not bring these back. Once you give them up the only way to aquire them is through feats. From doing this since 3rd edition came out, I've found that this really is more of a benfit then a hindrance. Players choose to give up things they know they will never use to get things they need.

Your example is to favorible for the PC. Your increasing the clerics base skill points by 50%, giving them a class skill that can only be used train, and all you are giving up is armor feats you'll never use anyway. So, you are getting something for nothing.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Geoff Watson said:
Be careful with allowing trades like this.

Medium and Heavy armour proficiencies aren't that great; and giving them up means nothing to many characters.

I'd say - on the contrary, this is a far less significant change than examples of class changes which are written in the PHB and the DMG.

I'd certainly allow a player to make this kind of trade for my campaign, and I'd give the extra skill point multiplied at 1st level as well.

Cheers

Madfox

First Post
Or you could simply allow the cosmopolitian feat from FRC. It makes a cross-class skill a class skill.

Personally I would be very careful in allowing armour and weapon feats to be exchanged for something else. For many characters medium and especially heavy armour is not an option anyway. This is even more true with weapons. If somebody IMC would want to play an alchemist cleric I would allow the PC to take the above mentioned feat and simply advice him to play an intelligent human.

Remove ads