• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fallen Angel [IC]

Erekose13

Explorer
Fallen Angel

Prologue:

Rumors of a strange orphan who speaks an unknown language reach the characters’ ears. Supposedly, the boy fell from the sky (or emerged from the earth—the tales are inconsistent) in the hamlet of Elton. Some believe the boy’s appearance portends a coming catastrophe, while others say he is gifted with marvelous supernatural powers and has come for purposes of his own.

The Beginning:

A light drizzle begins to fall from the gray clouds over head. Distant black storm clouds threaten to leave their lofty nests above the nearby mountain range. Akaros of Deria, Syfis, Thomas Gangier, Lomas Briggenthal, Riejar Rohat, and Michael Swordsbane have been making their way towards the hamlet which the prophetic rumours speak of. The farm lands on either side of the road look well tended, though at the moment no one is visible tending them. The smell of fresh rain provides a refreshing change to the dusty of the road. Over the next hill you spot a small amount of smoke drifting lazily into the sky, hidden previously by the cloud cover over head. As the village, your destination, comes in view you quickly survey the surrounging country side. A forest to the east lies beyond the village and a small rise delineates what could be considered a small mountain in these environs. A small brook travels through the centre of town and follows the road for a while. As you come closer to the town you are better able to assess the situation.

The village before you has obviously been raided, and not very long ago. Some buildings are missing their thatched roofs, and others show signs of the torch as well. Human and half-elven villagers rush to and fro with water and bandages, obviously tending to the injured in the huts that remain intact. In the centre of town, several villagers carry what appears to be dried vegetables to a large pot over a cookfire, evidently preparing stew from the town’s emergency rations.

((Okay so there is the beginning. The thread for OOC comments is in my sig))

Edit - added Message Icon

Last edited:

Rybaer

First Post
Lomas Briggenthal

Lomas pulls back the hood of his cloak to better absorb the sights and sounds of the village.

"We should try to find out what happened here. The rumors of that orphan's arrival portending catastrophe may have some truth behind them."

Lomas will then seek out the nearest adult villager who does not appear to be in shock and is not busy tending the injured. While seeking a suitable villager, he will also look around for the body of a fallen raider.

Over his shoulder to the others:
"Oh, and if you find any fallen raiders, please bring me one of their weapons. I'd like to see what manner of story it can tell."

Fanog

First Post
Thomas pulls up the hood of his green cloak as the rain starts to fall. He walks alongside Syfis, silent in anticipation of what they may find in the village.

At the first sight of smoke, Thomas gets a strange feeling in his stomach, as if things aren't right at all. The sight that greets them when they arrive at the town is, unfortunately, not a rare one; a raided village. Oh my, he thinks. Bandits? Would it be too much of a coincidence that the village was raided, right after the tales of the boy started?

"Come on", he says to his travelling companions while increasing his speed. "Let's see if we can still help these people. Maybe it only happened just ago, and we could find out who caused this."

Thomas eyes Akaros sideways, not sure how the fierce man's interpretation of the tragedy is colored by the tenets of his faith.

Last edited:

Someone

Adventurer
Akaros notices the look in Thomas´ face. "See! I told you. Those are portens of incoming destruction: Fire and sword."

He walks a while along Thomas. "Why do you keep looking at me? Ah, the wounded. See, I´ll tend them if you help me. You should familiarize with the nature of war: we all have plenty of it... soon."

Akaros uses the healing skill with the wounded while the others investigate who attacked the village.

Fanog

First Post
The sayings of Akaros always creep Thomas out quite a bit. He's not sure if he really wants to believe of a world bound for destruction and war. He looks happy that the priest is willing to help the wounded, though. "Help you? By learning battle...? I would rather not, but sometime it can't be avoided, I guess."

Not sure how he would be able to help with the wounded, Thomas is content to follow Lomas. We'd best stay together a bit, for the time being. I don't think I'd really feel comfortable alone here.

While Lomas approaches one of the villages, Thomas keeps his eyes open, trying to get a feel for what happened.

Last edited:

Thels

First Post
Michael turns towards Thomas: "Well, we're not likely to be the only people seeking the boy. Lots of people, good and bad will be looking for lots of different races. I wouldn't be surprised if there would be some groups that might choose to eliminate the opposition, so better stay on your toes. For now let's find out what happened here exactly. I'll look for signs the raiders might have left behind.".

Michael walks away and explores the hamlet, looking for anything that might give away something about the raiders.

Last edited:

Thrarn Iranorn

First Post
As the group have been brought together just a short time ago Riejar has kept to himself most of the time. He has little trust for starngers, and recently he has been surronded by them. On the road to the village, Riejar is admiring the green fields as he grew up working the farm. Riding very slowly he has trailed behind the group quite a ways. The others reach the town far before he does.

Nearing the village he pulls his horse to a halt. "Do you smell that Goliath" he asks to his canine companion. "Its smoke!!" he hollars as he looks into the disance at the smoke billowing into the sky. Flashbacks of his childhodd come into his head as he heels his massive horse causing it to lurch forward into a fast gallop.

Galloping past the others in the party, he charges to the other end of the village to see if he can spot the bandits that have done this, with Goliath doing everything he can to keep up.

Last edited:

Syfis pulls down her grey hood, looking as if in a trance, but still listening to her companions. She lets down her hair, and runs a hand through it, straightening it out after the long journey. Feeling the breeze and light rain run off her face, she feels an uneasy calm as they approach the village.

"Without the wind, Akaros, the fire would not burn." She speaks softly, in a whimsical fashion, "But I agree, we should help these people." She says, sighing.

So much meaningless destruction, too much.

Last edited:

Erekose13

Explorer
Riejar goes galloping off Goliath on his heals, while the rest approach the village on foot. Together you see that the uninjured are helping out where they can, preparing emergency food, tending to the injured and trying to put out some of the smouldering fires.

Nearby a middle-aged man with a bandaged leg sits on the ground beneath a tree. “Welcome to Elton!” he calls out in a friendly manner, adressing Lomas who is a little ahead of the group. As you gather around he continues, “I’m afraid you’ve not caught us at our best, strangers. But you’re welcome to share with us what still remains. By the look of you, I’d guess you’re adventurers. You could find plenty of wrongs to right around here, if you’re of such a mind.

“A long time ago, the ogres from those hills over there used to raid Elton pretty regular. But it’s been years since that happened. What came last night was . . . different. They looked like some
kinda weird cross between ogres and giant bugs. They took supplies and valuables, like normal raiders, but they only carried off one person— Arithel. Our gift of the star. The boy’s been the
light of the village ever since he came. Don’t know what we’ll do now that he’s gone. He’s a good boy.”

Meanwhile far on the other side of the village, Riejar can see further signs of the havoc wrecked by the invaders. Most of the buildings have had some damage, but you do not see any dead - not villagers, nor invaders. Goliath sniffs the ground near a particularly strange foot print and eyes the forest aways out of town. Whether the invaders went that way or not is uncertain, but there are none of them here anymore.

((I'm sorry if this sounds rude Agudo, but this game is currently full. I am a little new at pbp DMing, but I believe that you can find games to join in the Talking the Talk Forums.))

Last edited:

Remove ads