Fallen Empire Campaign

Robbs

First Post
I have a region in my world somewhat geographically isolated that I envision as a savage land with marauding packs of warped humans (I had in mind the reavers from Firefly, I even call them reavers in the game-which I am happy to report scares the crap out of the players!). My original concept is a series of barbarian tribes that were exposed to a great magical taint that continues to this day. This alters them physically and warps their minds also. To this point they've only come across a band of raiders (led by a variation of Shardra the Castrator from the old Arduin stuff) that is rumored to have members that were or are reavers. I've used fiendish frenzied berserkers but was wondering what people might think I should add, and what things should roam a land like that. Further, should there be pockets of protected areas-sanctuaries or some such? I want challenges beyond strictly avoiding marauding warbands. Maybe something along the lines of C.S. Friedman's Black Sun Rising books, with the forest having its own taint...

Sigurd

First Post
Reavers get more scary with some dark leadership.

Outsiders, Dark Gods, the alien and eldritch are all good candidates. A weird power might want to give out powerful mutations, even wealth, for its own ends. Worship and proximity to tainted monuments might be the basis for some others might become the puppets of ....

Sigurd

Robbs

First Post
Outsiders or eldritch works within the campaign concepts. Anyone have a tasty suggestion in this area? This has moved up in priority since the PCs are making a beeline for the area. Previously they have been meandering and have been easily distracted. For some reason they actually sound like they have a plan this time!

Shades of Green

First Post
A fallen empire setting would be a perfect environment for adventuring - a lot of ruins (or abandoned places) to explore and little authority to drive back the monsters and bandits except for the PCs. Not to mention the treasures the empire has left behind when retreating in a hurry...

A collapsing empire would create a power vacuum, and many opportunists will try to fill it - thugs, monsters, would-be kings, tyrants, even a few heroes. PCs could become kings by deposing a despot or defending villages against the monstrous hordes when no one else would.

Sigurd

First Post
Eldritch Ideas.

Cthulhu is a great genre - HP Lovecraft
Elric would work - Chaos lords intent on invasion - Michael Moorcock

Vampire Chaos lords who rule another planet need to corrupt local population until they can be absorbed and the chaos lords can enter our world through them.

Whatever you do have a tension element where it is more than one baddy needs your brains. Two opposing sides of the same invasion give you much more room for fun.

Sigurd.

Remove ads