• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Falling Stuff

DizzyKungFu

First Post
As a DM, suppose that during combat your PC wizard casts disintegrate on the ceiling of a high, natural cavern 100 ft. up. He or she casts their 10 ft. cube to disintegrate the highest part of the ceiling, leaving low hanging stalagtites and other protrusions unaffected within this 10 ft. area. Now, the stalagtites and protrusions are unattached and naturally fall, raining down upon the bad guys, who are clustered into a 10 ft. square area just under the area the wizard affected.

Assuming you buy all this, how would you handle the falling material? Would it automatically hit anyone in the area? Would it require a Reflex save to avoid? Would it require an attack roll of some kind, like some traps (and if so, how would you set the attack bonus)? Basically, I'm looking for input about how to deal with this. Thanks!

mikep18103

First Post
Here is how I would handle it. To make it easy I would have the bad guys make a Reflex save against the falling rocks say DC 15 or 20. For the damage the rocks do I would assign a d6 for each 10' the rocks fall. In your example 10d6. If the baddies make the save they recieve half damage (evasion abilities would apply). Keeps it easy and simple.

Last edited:

Remove ads