Trailer Fallout - Official Trailer

Ok so anyone still trying to deny Bethesda "don't get it" lol jesus absolutely wept:

For anyone unfamiliar with FO1, what this means is that apparently if you play the male character in FO4, you're guy who agrees with war crimes (and thus a war criminal), and thinks publicly executing POWs in the name of empire is not only cool, but really funny - literally the other guy shoots him, then "our hero" (apparently) yuks it up - in the original game the entire point where is that the US soldiers are scumbag war criminals being obviously falsely presented as heroes. And no he's not joking - that's why he clarified "not the shooter", because he's so out of touch he thinks that agreeing to and laughing about a war crime is okay, so long as you didn't pull the trigger on camera.

I get that's not what ol' Emil thinks he's saying, but is, unavoidably, what he actually saying. Reason he doesn't get it is that he doesn't understand this really basic scene which almost everyone would immediately understand, in FO1.

All I can say is thank god for Graham Wagner and Geneva Robertson-Dworet (I notice they change back and forth per episode in the credits as which is credited it first to keep it equal!), who are the actual showrunners and main writers for actually "getting it".
So after actually looking into the tweet and not just a tweet quoting him and emil's page turns out there's more to it (isn't there always?)

So who knows how many others in the room/office also agreed with it. ( I await yet another wall of text from you)

So after actually looking into the tweet and not just a tweet quoting him and emil's page turns out there's more to it (isn't there always?)
He's doing damage control after people reacted negatively. He basically says as much. He wouldn't have said any of this if the reaction was less "WTF bro?!". Also lovely to see the Nazis coming out of the woodwork to cheer Nathan (the character in question) being a war crim.

It's clear that what he's saying is that the internal inspiration for the character was a war criminal creep (who the hell laughs in a situation like that?), and that he's saying that despite that, you don't have to think of him as a war criminal, even though he implied you did. He thinks basing him on the war crim was, to quote:

"it was a cool nod to OG Fallout and a way to fictionally frame the character"

Which, let's be clear, is good evidence of "not getting it" when your reference point is a laughing war criminal = player character. If all he meant was "Nathan fought in the Canadian annexation", that'd be an entirely different thing to say. The whole fact that both of the characters had highly gendered roles and very specific backgrounds was pretty inappropriate* for a Fallout game anyway - that this was the thinking behind that is even wilder.

* =
It really negatively impacted FO4, because about 20% of the way through it abruptly dumps the tight and specific storyline for standard "You wander the wastes" stuff, which makes absolutely no sense given the tight and specific storyline. Bethesda really needed to pick a lane. If they'd stuck to the story it'd have been a very different game and unusual for a Fallout game but at least consistent and maybe could have been passable. But starting off with this wildly specific stuff, then switching to "You wander the wastes" just didn't work. You can see how extremely carefully Obsidian crafted the PC's role for FO:NV, thinking about how they needed to be able to tell a story AND give you freedom, and coming up with the Courier. BGS didn't do that - they crafted a story for one of two specific characters, then just ditched that early on because they wanted you to do standard Fallout stuff.

So who knows how many others in the room/office also agreed with it.
He's the boss. It doesn't matter if they disagree - he decides the story. He's been in that position since FO3.

It's nice that he's now saying "Wait this isn't canon even though I implied it was! I misspoke!" but again, the fact that he even thought this was a good idea to say shows the lack of real comprehension. Like this bit:

"He had been through hell as a soldier. Every day was another unknown horror. This was one of them."

No. Murdering POWs and laughing is not going through hell. It's being hell. Being confused about that is a problem. It reminds me of the classic Frankie Boyle quote:

Not only will America go to your country and kill all your people, they’ll come back twenty years later and make a movie about how killing your people made their soldiers feel sad.

This is a problem the writers for this show don't have, thank god. Very well illustrated in the last episode.

Last edited:

pukunui

Legend
Two episodes in and loving it. Would have stayed up later to watch more but I have to go into the office today.

I haven’t played any of the games yet, but I bought New Vegas and FO4 on sale for cheap from Steam over the weekend.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Two episodes in and loving it. Would have stayed up later to watch more but I have to go into the office today.

I haven’t played any of the games yet, but I bought New Vegas and FO4 on sale for cheap from Steam over the weekend.
I also had to stop watching the series on Friday night though due to meeting someone the following morning, the good thing was the weather was terrible so I ended up just sitting down and finishing the show that day.

I'm replaying new Vegas now and I'm always restarting fallout 4, both excellent games. I'm waiting for the update to fo4 before replaying it though. I apparently have all the dlc for new Vegas which I had no idea I owned, must have bought it all on sale, never actually finished the game but maybe this time will be different, I actually made it to New Vegas without being distracted and wandering off to explore the wasteland.

Meech17

Adventurer
Think I'll play New Vegas and Fallout 3. Owned them for a while.

Played the crap outta FO 4. Great game but the story is weak outside the BoS quest/finish and Far Harbor DLC.
I picked up FO1, 2, Tactics, and 3 on Steam today for a combined like $10.. All of the games are on sale if people are interested.. I never finished 3, and never got to play it on PC so I may try modding it a bit and play through it. I played FO1 for about half an hour before being eaten by a RadScorpion. I would like to try again but I'm not sure I'll have the patience to make any real progress.

I also saw the TTRPG is on sale at Drive Thru right now, so I grabbed the core book and the DM's guide for $20. I don't know if I'll ever get a chance to play it.. But I'm hanging out with some friends who I've gotten into D&D this weekend to play other games, and if any of them mention watching the show I'll be sure to throw out "I just happened to pick up the table top game" and see if there's any bites.

Think I'll play New Vegas and Fallout 3. Owned them for a while.

Played the crap outta FO 4. Great game but the story is weak outside the BoS quest/finish and Far Harbor DLC.
The great thing about Fallout 4 is that with its huge mod support you can tweak it to your liking. I prefer it in survival mode with various environmental/nuclear winter mods, use alternate start, and always ignore the main story.

Fallout: London is a fan-created mod (bigger than the base game) which is set to release later this month, and looks pretty cool.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
The great thing about Fallout 4 is that with its huge mod support you can tweak it to your liking. I prefer it in survival mode with various environmental/nuclear winter mods, use alternate start, and always ignore the main story.

Fallout: London is a fan-created mod (bigger than the base game) which is set to release later this month, and looks pretty cool.
Oh sweet, I've been checking on fallout:London off and on, cool it is due for release.

Hussar

Legend
Never played any of the games and made be saw a bit of a play through for a ne of them, fallout 76?, some time back so I came at this without any preconceptions.

Loving it. I’m only three eps in but I really like it. Solid story, decent writing. I might have one or two quibble moments, but it’s really solid.

Remove ads