D&D General Famous Mummy Lords of D&D?

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Hi all!

So I'm working on some material for my game, and my party has gotten hold of a Bag of Beans. It's a small possibility, but the beans may end up with a pyramid emerging, complete with a dangerous Mummy Lord inside.

Which got me thinking; I've never run a game with a Mummy Lord, and know little about them in the context of D&D. I can't really think of an iconic "D&D Mummy" like I know of Strahd for vampires, so I thought I'd ask you all!

So if you could name a mummy from a module/campaign setting that came off as iconic to you, let me know! I'd love to throw a Mummy Lord with a little bit of D&D history behind them as my player's foe.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Hi all!

So I'm working on some material for my game, and my party has gotten hold of a Bag of Beans. It's a small possibility, but the beans may end up with a pyramid emerging, complete with a dangerous Mummy Lord inside.

Which got me thinking; I've never run a game with a Mummy Lord, and know little about them in the context of D&D. I can't really think of an iconic "D&D Mummy" like I know of Strahd for vampires, so I thought I'd ask you all!

So if you could name a mummy from a module/campaign setting that came off as iconic to you, let me know! I'd love to throw a Mummy Lord with a little bit of D&D history behind them as my player's foe.

There was the Deserts of Desolation guy, also from Hickman, and Rise of Tiamat has a Mummy Lord.

In the Ravenloft campaign setting, one of the "Islands of Terror" is Har'akir, a desert land ruled by the mummy (and pharaoh) Anhktepot.

He was the first one that came to mind for me too. I can't think of an iconic mummy in FR, or Eberron, or Dragonlance, any of the other older settings. Pathfinder did a mummy-centric Adventure Path, but i don't know much about it.

TBH, the most iconic mummies in gaming for me all come from Warhammer fantasy...

Voadam

Legend
1597806284410.png

Voadam

Legend
Anhktepot from Ravenloft is the iconic figure for D&D mummy lords. He is an ancient mummy darklord and was part of the original Realm of Terror Ravenloft Campaign Setting boxed set and filled the Mummy gothic horror archetype for the setting. Anhktepot is detailed and statted out in RR1 Darklords. Greater mummies as seen in MC10 the first Ravenloft Monstrous Compendium Appendix and then in the core 2e Monstrous Manual are explicitly credited with him as their creator and the sourcebooks provide Anhktepot's Children as an alternative name. He and they have cleric magic and you can see this continued on with Mummy Lords in 3e and further D&D, even if the connection to him is no longer mentioned.

RA3 Touch of Death is the 2e Ravenloft module with Greater Mummies in it and lore on them as well. It involves the Greater Mummy Senmet in addition to Anhktepot.

There is also Tiyet, a mummy Darklord detailed in RR1 Darklords. And Anhktepot's wife Nephyr is described but not statted.

The Awakening has a mummy priestess Sachmet but she is fairly nonstandard.

Last edited:

Kurotowa

Legend
Eberron has the mummy lord Malevanor, but he's probably not what you're looking for. Malevanor is a high priest of the Seekers of the Divinity Within, aka the Blood of Vol, and is a well known citizen of Karrnath. He preforms church services, helps direct his faith, and gets quoted in the newspapers.

So not exactly your typical undead, and more likely to lecture the PCs for their indiscriminate use of magic items that summoned him than he is to attack, but you did ask for a wide survey.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Oh and after doing a bit more Pathfinder reading it appears that Alexayn the Miser the co-founder of the Apsis Consortium in Cheliax is also a Mummy Lord - so thats another non-standard Mummy villain for you

Last edited:

Remove ads