• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fantasy Flight Games' Genesys

Cyvris

First Post
Anyone else purchased or interested in FFG's new generic Narrative Dice RPG system? Their previous Star Wars RPG using the system is excellent, and I am very pleased with how the Genesys system looks based on my first read of the core book.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I’ve never been able to get the hang of the dice in FFG’s RPGs. I’m sure it becomes intuitive, but my brain wouldn’t let me pass that barrier!

aramis erak

Legend
Dice are same distribution of symbols as Star Wars... but with different symbols used. So Star Wars Dice can be substituted.Some differences:
  • Atts cap at 5 (instead of SW's 6) for PC's
  • No Talent tables; open purchase of traits, but with a tier system - must have more tier 1 than tier 2, and tier 2 than tier 3, etc.
  • Specific symbols for Success, Failure, Advantage, threat, Triumph and Despair different, tho' distribution and use is the same
  • The 3 key meta-atts from Star Wars are not present - no Obligation, Duty, nor Morality scores.
  • Specific Talents differ somewhat.
  • Talent Creation rules
  • Equipment Creation Rules

darjr

I crit!
For me the best strategy for the dice had become not to care about anything but success or failure unless the attempt could really benefit from the extra stuff. Otherwise it became tedious to do that stuff for every roll.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Anyone else purchased or interested in FFG's new generic Narrative Dice RPG system?
Interested? Very much. Purchased? Eh, no.

I’ve never been able to get the hang of the dice in FFG’s RPGs. I’m sure it becomes intuitive, but my brain wouldn’t let me pass that barrier!
I'm in this boat as well, but it's not entirely a fair argument for me: if my brain can grasp how polyhedral dice with numbers on them should translate into narrative effects, I don't see why six-sided dice (?) with qualitative, "narrative" icons should be any stranger.

And I should dump my "they're just trying to sell special dice" argument too, since I could either get narrative dice and reference tables for the icons, or use normal dice and reference tables for the numbers....

/grognard

aramis erak

Legend
And I should dump my "they're just trying to sell special dice" argument too, since I could either get narrative dice and reference tables for the icons, or use normal dice and reference tables for the numbers....

/grognard

Making a translation mat works really well.

Just purchased the book, and some dice yesterday. Still reading it - the system seems really good at this point, and I like the balance between crunch and narrative in it. I've never played Star Wars so this is a new system to me.

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
Great book, I've been a huge fan of this dice system. Some interesting changes from Star Wars, but nothing crazy. Definitely contending with Savage Worlds for go to system for non-fantasy RPGs.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads