Fantasy Flight Games statement on Star Wars License

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Here was the reply from the press rep.:

"FFG does not comment on speculation. Any and all public news is
available on our website."

Which is a very different answer from the straight "No we don't have it." from a number of other companies, including Paizo, Margaret Weis, Steve Jackson Games.

That they answer differently from SJG is not particularly meaningful. The real question is, "How has FFG responded to similar inquiries in the past?"

If FFG always responds that way to speculation, then they're just formal. If, this time, they're being formal when usually they casually answer, "No, we aren't doing that thing you're all speculating about," you have a real thought-provoker on your hands.

BryonD

Hero
Either way it is more than a little lame of Mongoose to passive aggressively spill the beans on this.

They should have kept their mouth shut.

And to be clear, I don't think they shouldn't be *allowed* to do it. I just think they are creeps for doing it and it strikes me as a whiny sour grapes action.

D'karr

Adventurer
Either way it is more than a little lame of Mongoose to passive aggressively spill the beans on this.

And to be clear, I don't think they shouldn't be *allowed* to do it. I just think they are creeps for doing it and it strikes me as a whiny sour grapes action.

Huh? I read nothing of the sort even remotely appearing to be that way coming from Mongoose. Obviously, YMMV.

Anselyn

Explorer

Mongoose said:
We are not going to reveal who this is (you have heard of them), as that is their fanfare to blow. However, I am sure many will find it intriguing that the licence covers card games, RPGs, and... miniatures. Now, the company concerned is not known for its miniatures lines, which will probably put paid to my dream of 28mm multipart/multipose Stormtroopers.

Huh! x 2.
ByronD: Practice what you preach?

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Huh? I read nothing of the sort even remotely appearing to be that way coming from Mongoose. Obviously, YMMV.

Not really, considering that most companies don't brazenly say "We didn't get the secret project license we were working on, which was X, and now my hopes of making figurines for that system has been dashed."

Most companies with tact would not make that type of announce until the other company announce since it might come off as being unprofessional.

Last edited:

_NewbieDM_

Explorer
I don't think Mongoose should have said anything at all. The announcement of a new gaming license for SW should have come from the new licensee, not from a company who failed to secure it.

That's not the way you deal with people in business. There could be a burned bridge or two here. I'm sure if FFG got the license, they aren't appreciating the position they are in of having to issue "no comment" statements as they prepare a big announcement. More so when other companies have straight out declined to be the new license holders, making it more obvious to everyone.

I don't feel bad about asking them for a statement, but I feel bad about the position they are in (if they are indeed the new license holders). Mongoose should have stayed tight lipped on any types of dealings.

Greg K

Legend
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with what Matt wrote.

As for the possibilty of FFG getting the license, I'll be bummed if they do (based upon what I know of their past games).

Shawn_Kehoe

First Post
I believe FFG has always maintained this line on any speculation. They recognize that if they openly say "no, not us!" when something is untrue, "no comment" become a tacit acknowledgement when the rumour has merit.

FYI, two of their major announcements this year were tied to themed gaming days at their FFG Event Centre ... Mansions of Madness was announced during an HP Lovecraft game day, and DungeonQuest during a Runebound / Descent / Runewars event.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
By rights... it should be Green Ronin who picks up the license.

They made a TTRPG based off of Bioware's CRPG Dragon Age... it only makes sense that they then make a TTRPG for Bioware's upcoming MMORPG Star Wars: The Old Republic. ;)

pawsplay

Hero
I don't think Mongoose should have said anything at all. The announcement of a new gaming license for SW should have come from the new licensee, not from a company who failed to secure it.

That's not the way you deal with people in business. There could be a burned bridge or two here. I'm sure if FFG got the license, they aren't appreciating the position they are in of having to issue "no comment" statements as they prepare a big announcement. More so when other companies have straight out declined to be the new license holders, making it more obvious to everyone.

I don't feel bad about asking them for a statement, but I feel bad about the position they are in (if they are indeed the new license holders). Mongoose should have stayed tight lipped on any types of dealings.

You do know ENWorld started as a scoopie-scoopie site, right?

Remove ads