Fantasy Flight Games statement on Star Wars License

_NewbieDM_

Explorer
Hmm. Yeah.

Not sure what that has to do with a company spilling secrets about closed door licensing deals.

A fan site reporting about 3.0 D&D and a company dropping hints about who beat them for a possible lucrative license are two separate things.

GreyLord

Legend
I think people who are betting on FFG may be surprised...I'm thinking it's NOT FFG.

In fact, the ONLY reason people are thinking it's FFG is because some crazy speculation on some sites...there really is NOTHING that indicates FFG...but there IS stuff out there indicating someone else, and in some ways pretty blatant.

It could be a whitewash by Lucas and FFG has it...or it could be that the stuff out there makes sense and FFG doesn't actually have the license.

Just a heads up...FFG couldn't even secure the rights to DUNE...what makes you think they secured the rights to SW?

Jhaelen

First Post
Mongoose said:
We are not going to reveal who this is (you have heard of them), as that is their fanfare to blow. However, I am sure many will find it intriguing that the licence covers card games, RPGs, and... miniatures. Now, the company concerned is not known for its miniatures lines, which will probably put paid to my dream of 28mm multipart/multipose Stormtroopers.
Hmm, maybe FFG is not exactly known for their mini lines, but they do have them.

Shawn_Kehoe

First Post
I think people who are betting on FFG may be surprised...I'm thinking it's NOT FFG.

In fact, the ONLY reason people are thinking it's FFG is because some crazy speculation on some sites...there really is NOTHING that indicates FFG...but there IS stuff out there indicating someone else, and in some ways pretty blatant.

It could be a whitewash by Lucas and FFG has it...or it could be that the stuff out there makes sense and FFG doesn't actually have the license.

Just a heads up...FFG couldn't even secure the rights to DUNE...what makes you think they secured the rights to SW?

1) Well, it is *all* speculation at this point. The evidence is FFG's long list of existing licensed properties, and their strength in board games, cards and RPGs. The Mongoose post indicated that minis aren't a strength of the winner, which could also be applied to FFG.
2) Pretty blatant evidence that it another publisher? Please elaborate. At this point AEG appears to be the only likely competitor.
3) A "whitewash" implies a coverup or some sort of wrong-doing. I don't think it applies here.
4) The Dune license is pretty much universally unattainable as I understand it. Strife within the family or some such.

D'karr

Adventurer
I don't think Mongoose should have said anything at all. The announcement of a new gaming license for SW should have come from the new licensee, not from a company who failed to secure it.

Mongoose said they didn't get the license, they didn't go and say and company X got it. They didn't steal anyone's thunder. They simply said we were going for the license and didn't get it.

So in essence the license holder will make their announcement when they're good and ready. Just because the internet goes into speculation frenzy mode because Mongoose said they didn't get the license does not mean that Mongoose should have said nothing at all.

oni no won

First Post
I doubt it is FFG too. They have/had produced some miniatures under their belt.

My bet is on Green Ronin. They have mainly concentrated on rpgs with a couple card games published. For them, SW would give them an excellent chance to spread out to other areas outside of rpgs.

As to Mongoose Matt's announcement, I don't think it was improper of him to announce his disappointment at getting the license. He stated it on his company's website anyway. Also, if you knew how much he really wanted to get the license, you would understand him wanting to voice that disappointment. Also, he didn't steal anyone's thunder. He just stated he didn't get it and that he didn't want to reveal the company to allow them the honor of announcing the license.

Last edited:

Psion

Adventurer
In fact, the ONLY reason people are thinking it's FFG is because some crazy speculation on some sites...there really is NOTHING that indicates FFG...

It is entirely speculation and I for one am not assuming anything. But I think the scope of the license matching well with the scope of products FFG is currently doing is a fairly strong data point, so I refute the notion there is nothing.

but there IS stuff out there indicating someone else, and in some ways pretty blatant.

Really? Do share.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
Mongoose said they didn't get the license, they didn't go and say and company X got it. They didn't steal anyone's thunder. They simply said we were going for the license and didn't get it.

So in essence the license holder will make their announcement when they're good and ready. Just because the internet goes into speculation frenzy mode because Mongoose said they didn't get the license does not mean that Mongoose should have said nothing at all.

Mongoose didn't just say that they did not get the license. They said that the didn't, AND that somebody else did, and dropped hints about who that might be. I think Matt knows the Internet well enough to know that will spark a rabid frenzy of speculation.

In the grand scheme of things I think it's a little impolite, but not a huge deal. Like spoiling a surprise birthday party. It might be a little awkward if the Internet decides that FFG has the license and it turns out they don't, but everybody involved will get over it.

Remove ads