Fantasy Grounds Drops Prices For Electronic D&D Books

One thing people often hesitate over when it comes to the Virtual Tabletop versions of books they already own is that the electronic versions cost as much as the originals, and this can reduce the number of players using the platforms. Fantasy Grounds has recognised this, and has decided to take action by reducing the prices of Fantasy Grounds versions of books by up to 40%, depending on the book. That means something like the Dungeon Master's Guide or Volo's Guide to Monsters will go from $49.99 to $29.99.

One thing people often hesitate over when it comes to the Virtual Tabletop versions of books they already own is that the electronic versions cost as much as the originals, and this can reduce the number of players using the platforms. Fantasy Grounds has recognised this, and has decided to take action by reducing the prices of Fantasy Grounds versions of books by up to 40%, depending on the book. That means something like the Dungeon Master's Guide or Volo's Guide to Monsters will go from $49.99 to $29.99.

74a73339-f026-488d-ac66-76ad6eb7dfed.png

Here's what they say about it: "SmiteWorks is working alongside Wizards of the Coast to significantly lower the cost of entry for Dungeons & Dragons players looking to play online with the Fantasy Grounds virtual tabletop. While the project has been a major success, both partners would like it to be even more successful. The prices for official D&D content for Fantasy Grounds will be reduced on August 15, 2017 as part of an initiative to increase new player adoption. Modules which previously cost $49.99 will now be $29.99. Large adventure modules will now be $24.99. Existing customers will benefit in lower prices on all newly released content."

It sounds like WotC is involved in this pricing strategy, as SmiteWorks says that they are working with them to lower the cost of entry. I've reached out for some more information on the initiative, and I'll update as soon as I hear anything.

UPDATE: SmiteWorks' Doug Davison confirms that it's a SmiteWorks initiative:

"I think it is fairly safe to share that SmiteWork's standard agreement is that we license content from publishers and pay them royalties at a fixed rate based on the final sale price of each product. Our publishers set the prices of all products we license from them, although some publishers agree to let us manage periodic sales within set parameters to manage frequency, total discount, etc.

The initiative to increase new player adoption is a SmiteWorks initiative. It is supported by Wizards of the Coast in a generic way as they support us in general, like they do all of their partners."

Here's the full list of upcoming price changes (from August 15th):

40% Cheaper (From $49.99 to $29.99 each)
D&D Complete Core Class Pack
D&D Complete Core Monster Pack
D&D Complete Dungeon Master's Guide
D&D Volo's Guide to Monsters
D&D Tales from the Yawning Portal
D&D Sword Coast Adventurers Guide

28% Cheaper (From $34.99 to $24.99 each)

D&D Storm King's Thunder
D&D Curse of Strahd
D&D Out of the Abyss
D&D Princes of the Apocalypse

25% Cheaper (From $19.99 to $14.99 each)

D&D Lost Mine of Phandelver

Pricing Unchanged

SRD Data Modules are still FREE
D&D Basic Rules are still FREE
Individual Class Packs
Individual Monster Packs
D&D Hoard of the Dragon Queen
D&D Rise of Tiamat
D&D Legacy of the Crystal Shard
D&D Scourge of the Sword Coast
D&D Map Pack Volume 1
D&D Token Volume 1
D&D Token Volume 2
D&D Lair Assault - Forge of the Dawn Titan (5E)
D&D Lair Assault - Talon of Umberlee (5E)
D&D Lair Assault - Attack of the Tyrant Claw (5E)
SaveSave
SaveSave

Grakarg

Explorer
I am super confused by Fantasy grounds pricing setup and that has kept me away from signing up.
Maybe someone can help explain what exactly I'd get for my money and if this VTT will fit my needs.

I'm currently running Princes of the Apocalypse for 3 (!!!) different groups. I'd love to have the option to run this over the VTT when some of the groups can't get together otherwise.

Does that mean I just purchase the Princes of the Apocalypse adventure on Fantasy Ground and boom, I'm ready to go?

Or do I have to buy the adventure, and the Monster Manual pack (for all the basic monsters that aren't the cults in the back of the book) + the DM's pack for treasure/magic items + the Core Players pack so that I can enter my players characters into the system?
Do all of the players have to buy in too, in order to play on the VTT?

Super confusing. I'm interested with this price drop but I can't drop a hundred+ bucks on something that I don't know if it will work for my group. Can anyone explain it for me? Thanks.

I am super confused by Fantasy grounds pricing setup and that has kept me away from signing up.
Maybe someone can help explain what exactly I'd get for my money and if this VTT will fit my needs.

I'm currently running Princes of the Apocalypse for 3 (!!!) different groups. I'd love to have the option to run this over the VTT when some of the groups can't get together otherwise.

Does that mean I just purchase the Princes of the Apocalypse adventure on Fantasy Ground and boom, I'm ready to go?

Or do I have to buy the adventure, and the Monster Manual pack (for all the basic monsters that aren't the cults in the back of the book) + the DM's pack for treasure/magic items + the Core Players pack so that I can enter my players characters into the system?
Do all of the players have to buy in too, in order to play on the VTT?

Super confusing. I'm interested with this price drop but I can't drop a hundred+ bucks on something that I don't know if it will work for my group. Can anyone explain it for me? Thanks.

To run any published adventure, all you need is a paid license of FG and the adventure. All of the spells, monsters, items etc are all included in the adventure module itself.

There are two types of licenses; standard and ultimate. Standard allows you to host or play, but all players have to have a standard or ultimate license. Ultimate allows you to host or play, but players do not need any license.

Each license can then be paid for as a subscription ($3.99 or $9.99 per month) or as a one-time purchase ($39 or currently on-sale at $111.75).

Tomorrow I believe their is a permanent price drop on the adventure, I don't remember the new price, but I think it's 40% off MSRP.

Note, the standard and ultimate licenses come with all the various rulesets (i.e. the mechanics and character sheets to play the game) but don't come with all the data (i.e. the classes, items,monsters, etc). In terms of D&D 5E, the both paid licenses come with the Basic Rules and the SRD, which give you a lot, but not every monster, class, path, etc. Note that if you want you can manually enter anything from the PHB of any other source if you do not own the FG version of that source. You can do it on each character, or you can make your own "class module" of official and homebrew classes. Same goes for spells, items, races, etc.

Nylanfs

Adventurer
Both licenses for FG come with several rulesets for games (ie the actual game mechanics), SRD info for those games that have it (ie 35e, Pathfinder, 5e, etc), several generic maps and tokens.

When you get the Adventure module everything that is referenced in the module is there and you don't really need anything else to play. If you want to through in different monsters or what not you can use just the monsters in the SRD.

If you get the Full license then all your players also need to get a full license, if you get an Ultimate license then your players don't need to get anything.

If you don't buy the PHB dlc, then your players can just use the included SRD and type in the missing info on their character sheet. If you have bought the PHB, then you just share that and the players can make their characters by dragging the info from the book to the char sheet.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

[MENTION=41096]Grakarg[/MENTION],

The other thing to be aware of, FG offers a 30 day money back guarantee. So you can always buy it and try it out. Just make sure that if you do run into any questions, drop by the forums there and ask. It's one of the most helpful and friendly places you will find.

huskylawyer

First Post
I'm very happy about the price drop as my group of friends who played D&D back in the 80s have just decided to play 5th edition, but because we are all over the country we are going the VTT route. I bought the one-time Ultimate Package (no going back now lol), but waiting for tomorrow to to pull the trigger on Players Handbook, Monster Manual and DM Guide (I have the hard covers but I like the integration of the virtual books into FG).

My first post here and looking forward to participating in the ENW community (I go by wolverinehusky on FG forums).

Uchawi

First Post
I don't see the need to buy the game books as part of a VTT setup. I would rather have PDFs I can own. As to VTT in general, most require system mastery and patience to setup as a DM; assuming you have some basic programming skill and can also edit digital images proficiently. Therefore, the real value in a VTT when considering 5E is having an adventure path developed that can be run as is.

What interests me is adventure paths may be cheaper. I still think the cost of owning the full version that anyone can play is a little steep. But at least it is a step closer.

I don't see the need to buy the game books as part of a VTT setup.
You are right, there is not a need if you own the printed books. But, buying the FG versions will save you time. It's a cost vs time thing, which one do you have more of? :)

I would rather have PDFs I can own. As to VTT in general, most require system mastery and patience to setup as a DM; assuming you have some basic programming skill and can also edit digital images proficiently.
I don't understand this statement. FG doesn't require mastery before you can start using it. Heck, most people do not use all of it's functions and the standing recommendation is to just start out using the most basic features. Then move into automation and such as you get more comfortable.

And no programming what so ever is needed. This differs from understanding of Roll20, which requires you learn various macros and such. FG doesn't need any of that. You can get into writing custom extensions for FG if you want to, but the program itself is very capable and flexible. The most common inquiries on extensions is for automating custom things that you could otherwise do manually.
Therefore, the real value in a VTT when considering 5E is having an adventure path developed that can be run as is.

What interests me is adventure paths may be cheaper. I still think the cost of owning the full version that anyone can play is a little steep. But at least it is a step closer.
I've run both LMoP and PotA in FG using the purchased modules in FG. They have everything I need, plus you can always customize them with new/modified encounters, maps, story entries etc.

Uchawi

First Post
You are right, there is not a need if you own the printed books. But, buying the FG versions will save you time. It's a cost vs time thing, which one do you have more of? :)

I don't understand this statement. FG doesn't require mastery before you can start using it. Heck, most people do not use all of it's functions and the standing recommendation is to just start out using the most basic features. Then move into automation and such as you get more comfortable.

And no programming what so ever is needed. This differs from understanding of Roll20, which requires you learn various macros and such. FG doesn't need any of that. You can get into writing custom extensions for FG if you want to, but the program itself is very capable and flexible. The most common inquiries on extensions is for automating custom things that you could otherwise do manually.

I've run both LMoP and PotA in FG using the purchased modules in FG. They have everything I need, plus you can always customize them with new/modified encounters, maps, story entries etc.
I have used FG before 5E even existed, and it is still clunky enough to have a learning curve. Maybe I am bias based on my programming skill and expectations. And I see no value in FG providing the manuals if print or PDF is available. But of course that is personal preference. I agree on your last statement as being the most important. Having adventures available and that are easy to use is paramount. And that is where the cost of entry should be focused at least for 5E.

Remove ads

Remove ads