• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fantasy Grounds Drops Prices For Electronic D&D Books

One thing people often hesitate over when it comes to the Virtual Tabletop versions of books they already own is that the electronic versions cost as much as the originals, and this can reduce the number of players using the platforms. Fantasy Grounds has recognised this, and has decided to take action by reducing the prices of Fantasy Grounds versions of books by up to 40%, depending on the book. That means something like the Dungeon Master's Guide or Volo's Guide to Monsters will go from $49.99 to $29.99.

One thing people often hesitate over when it comes to the Virtual Tabletop versions of books they already own is that the electronic versions cost as much as the originals, and this can reduce the number of players using the platforms. Fantasy Grounds has recognised this, and has decided to take action by reducing the prices of Fantasy Grounds versions of books by up to 40%, depending on the book. That means something like the Dungeon Master's Guide or Volo's Guide to Monsters will go from $49.99 to $29.99.

74a73339-f026-488d-ac66-76ad6eb7dfed.png

Here's what they say about it: "SmiteWorks is working alongside Wizards of the Coast to significantly lower the cost of entry for Dungeons & Dragons players looking to play online with the Fantasy Grounds virtual tabletop. While the project has been a major success, both partners would like it to be even more successful. The prices for official D&D content for Fantasy Grounds will be reduced on August 15, 2017 as part of an initiative to increase new player adoption. Modules which previously cost $49.99 will now be $29.99. Large adventure modules will now be $24.99. Existing customers will benefit in lower prices on all newly released content."

It sounds like WotC is involved in this pricing strategy, as SmiteWorks says that they are working with them to lower the cost of entry. I've reached out for some more information on the initiative, and I'll update as soon as I hear anything.

UPDATE: SmiteWorks' Doug Davison confirms that it's a SmiteWorks initiative:

"I think it is fairly safe to share that SmiteWork's standard agreement is that we license content from publishers and pay them royalties at a fixed rate based on the final sale price of each product. Our publishers set the prices of all products we license from them, although some publishers agree to let us manage periodic sales within set parameters to manage frequency, total discount, etc.

The initiative to increase new player adoption is a SmiteWorks initiative. It is supported by Wizards of the Coast in a generic way as they support us in general, like they do all of their partners."

Here's the full list of upcoming price changes (from August 15th):

40% Cheaper (From $49.99 to $29.99 each)
D&D Complete Core Class Pack
D&D Complete Core Monster Pack
D&D Complete Dungeon Master's Guide
D&D Volo's Guide to Monsters
D&D Tales from the Yawning Portal
D&D Sword Coast Adventurers Guide

28% Cheaper (From $34.99 to $24.99 each)

D&D Storm King's Thunder
D&D Curse of Strahd
D&D Out of the Abyss
D&D Princes of the Apocalypse

25% Cheaper (From $19.99 to $14.99 each)

D&D Lost Mine of Phandelver

Pricing Unchanged

SRD Data Modules are still FREE
D&D Basic Rules are still FREE
Individual Class Packs
Individual Monster Packs
D&D Hoard of the Dragon Queen
D&D Rise of Tiamat
D&D Legacy of the Crystal Shard
D&D Scourge of the Sword Coast
D&D Map Pack Volume 1
D&D Token Volume 1
D&D Token Volume 2
D&D Lair Assault - Forge of the Dawn Titan (5E)
D&D Lair Assault - Talon of Umberlee (5E)
D&D Lair Assault - Attack of the Tyrant Claw (5E)
SaveSave
SaveSave

smiteworks

Explorer
I'm pretty sure it's against the law for a company to tell you how much you must sell a product for.

Your understanding is incorrect. There are Minimum Advertised Prices (MAP) and there are also prices set for things you own. Fantasy Grounds distributes content owned by other publishers or content which is owned by both companies as part of an agreement. Just like video game companies can set prices for their games on Steam, companies can set the a minimum price or pricing strategy for licensed content. It all depends on the licensing agreements that are in place.

guachi

Hero
Minimum Advertised Price is not the same as selling price so it's not relevant to what you can actually sell a product for. I am well aware of MAP. You can generally tell you've encountered it when you see a tag with "See Price in Cart".

So what is it? Are you saying you can't sell it for a certain price like in your first post or are you saying you can't advertise it for a certain price like in your second post?

Minimum Advertised Price is not the same as selling price so it's not relevant to what you can actually sell a product for. I am well aware of MAP. You can generally tell you've encountered it when you see a tag with "See Price in Cart".

So what is it? Are you saying you can't sell it for a certain price like in your first post or are you saying you can't advertise it for a certain price like in your second post?
As SmiteWorks has stated before, their licensing agreement sets the price that they can sell the product for, and when and how much they can sell it at discount.

Unless you care to regal us with your legal credentials, why don't you take it for granted that the guy who signed the contract knows what his legal obligation are?

You must not buy any gaming consoles or Disney animated movies. Sure, stores may have sales on those kinds of things, but permanent prices lower than what those companies want their products to be sold for does not happen.

smiteworks

Explorer
I know this is the Internet and therefore we have a mandate to argue. Let's not do that this time. B-)

Instead, let me know if you have any questions about the product and why we think it is a great value at MSRP and an even better value at the newer prices. We offer a 30-day full money-back guarantee on all purchases from our website (including subscriptions, licenses or add-ons) and Steam offers a 14-day money back guarantee for DLC purchased through there. Why not take it for a test drive and see for yourself if it is worth it?

Things that make you go Hmmm?
Yea, he doesn't get it and doesn't want to. He's fixated on wanting a PDF so that is his basis for evaluating every digital offering. Such a view is fine, but it is selling the opportunities that other digital formats present very short.

pogre

Legend
Not my style of gaming. You know I love my miniatures and terrain Doug! But, so pleased to see your company doing so well!

Remove ads

Remove ads