Fantasy Grounds Drops Prices For Electronic D&D Books

One thing people often hesitate over when it comes to the Virtual Tabletop versions of books they already own is that the electronic versions cost as much as the originals, and this can reduce the number of players using the platforms. Fantasy Grounds has recognised this, and has decided to take action by reducing the prices of Fantasy Grounds versions of books by up to 40%, depending on the book. That means something like the Dungeon Master's Guide or Volo's Guide to Monsters will go from $49.99 to $29.99.

One thing people often hesitate over when it comes to the Virtual Tabletop versions of books they already own is that the electronic versions cost as much as the originals, and this can reduce the number of players using the platforms. Fantasy Grounds has recognised this, and has decided to take action by reducing the prices of Fantasy Grounds versions of books by up to 40%, depending on the book. That means something like the Dungeon Master's Guide or Volo's Guide to Monsters will go from $49.99 to $29.99.

74a73339-f026-488d-ac66-76ad6eb7dfed.png

Here's what they say about it: "SmiteWorks is working alongside Wizards of the Coast to significantly lower the cost of entry for Dungeons & Dragons players looking to play online with the Fantasy Grounds virtual tabletop. While the project has been a major success, both partners would like it to be even more successful. The prices for official D&D content for Fantasy Grounds will be reduced on August 15, 2017 as part of an initiative to increase new player adoption. Modules which previously cost $49.99 will now be $29.99. Large adventure modules will now be $24.99. Existing customers will benefit in lower prices on all newly released content."

It sounds like WotC is involved in this pricing strategy, as SmiteWorks says that they are working with them to lower the cost of entry. I've reached out for some more information on the initiative, and I'll update as soon as I hear anything.

UPDATE: SmiteWorks' Doug Davison confirms that it's a SmiteWorks initiative:

"I think it is fairly safe to share that SmiteWork's standard agreement is that we license content from publishers and pay them royalties at a fixed rate based on the final sale price of each product. Our publishers set the prices of all products we license from them, although some publishers agree to let us manage periodic sales within set parameters to manage frequency, total discount, etc.

The initiative to increase new player adoption is a SmiteWorks initiative. It is supported by Wizards of the Coast in a generic way as they support us in general, like they do all of their partners."

Here's the full list of upcoming price changes (from August 15th):

40% Cheaper (From $49.99 to $29.99 each)
D&D Complete Core Class Pack
D&D Complete Core Monster Pack
D&D Complete Dungeon Master's Guide
D&D Volo's Guide to Monsters
D&D Tales from the Yawning Portal
D&D Sword Coast Adventurers Guide

28% Cheaper (From $34.99 to $24.99 each)

D&D Storm King's Thunder
D&D Curse of Strahd
D&D Out of the Abyss
D&D Princes of the Apocalypse

25% Cheaper (From $19.99 to $14.99 each)

D&D Lost Mine of Phandelver

Pricing Unchanged

SRD Data Modules are still FREE
D&D Basic Rules are still FREE
Individual Class Packs
Individual Monster Packs
D&D Hoard of the Dragon Queen
D&D Rise of Tiamat
D&D Legacy of the Crystal Shard
D&D Scourge of the Sword Coast
D&D Map Pack Volume 1
D&D Token Volume 1
D&D Token Volume 2
D&D Lair Assault - Forge of the Dawn Titan (5E)
D&D Lair Assault - Talon of Umberlee (5E)
D&D Lair Assault - Attack of the Tyrant Claw (5E)
SaveSave
SaveSave

Peter Saumur

First Post
Ah poop. The second method doesn't work at all (no HTML generated). First one had problems keeping text on the lines.

Don't own HeroLabs or PCGen.

Looks like re-entry of characters for me (Char Forge being my current favorite).

Ah poop. The second method doesn't work at all (no HTML generated). First one had problems keeping text on the lines.

Don't own HeroLabs or PCGen.

Looks like re-entry of characters for me (Char Forge being my current favorite).
I never had problems with either one. I do know that there have been changes/updates to the ALonline tool at various times so maybe it works or doesn't work at the moment.

Also, PCGen is free. So you can just download and use it. Hero Labs has a free trial too.

Peter Saumur

First Post
I never had problems with either one. I do know that there have been changes/updates to the ALonline tool at various times so maybe it works or doesn't work at the moment.

Also, PCGen is free. So you can just download and use it. Hero Labs has a free trial too.

Doesn't look like PCGen imports .xml files - only .pcg ?

Ed Veal

First Post
Just because I want legal digital copies of print material that I have all ready purchased I am forced to pay an exorbitant fee. I am willing to pay, but not 60% of the cover price for something that began as digital material. I will pay no more than 30%. I wish I could pay that with my print copy and then be done and not have to pay for a third parties profit margin.

Just because I want legal digital copies of print material that I have all ready purchased I am forced to pay an exorbitant fee. I am willing to pay, but not 60% of the cover price for something that began as digital material. I will pay no more than 30%. I wish I could pay that with my print copy and then be done and not have to pay for a third parties profit margin.

That is not really applicable for Fantasy Grounds. The version of the rule books and adventures you get has extensive development work to allow for online play.

On top of that, they actually provide a tool to enter all the materials (or you can enter it in game as well).

Not all publishers provide digital copies of hardbacks, and the ones that do typically only do it if you buy directly from them (so no Amazon.com pricing).

WoTC is not providing PDF, each of the online versions is reformatted for the base program in question.

You are not forced to buy anything. You've set your value at 30%, which is great. Unfortunately for you, that's not the price point at which the product is being sold. I will say I was (and am and have been) willing to pay 100% MSRP for the products in FG format. I don't buy them in dead tree format, it has no advantages for me. FG is much more capable than any PDF or printed format, so that's where I spent my money. IMO, I got a fine deal and the value I have gotten far exceeds the cost I have paid.

But, as has been pointed out hundreds of times on this forum alone, if the product doesn't have sufficient value for you, no one is forcing you to buy it. I would suggest it's because either you don't have the need for a VTT or you don't understand the value. But, your choice.

Between the lower prices here and in D&D Beyond, I wonder if the new CEO is more comfortable pricing digital offerings at lower prices...
Seems like it. Maybe someone has done some sort of market survey and they decided the loss in per product revenue was offset by increased number of sales.

Remove ads

Remove ads