• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Far shot, Distance, and cragtop archers

Diomeneus

First Post
alright, so I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this one but would like some confirmation. Does far shot stack with distance, the magical effect? I'm thinking it doesn't, and assume they are both enhancement bonuses though the SRD doesn't state it clearly but I have been wrong before.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Also, note the rule for multiplying in D&D has an exception:
When applying multipliers to real-world values (such as weight or distance), normal rules of math apply instead. A creature whose size doubles (thus multiplying its weight by 8) and then is turned to stone (which would multiply its weight by a factor of roughly 3) now weighs about 24 times normal, not 10 times normal.

So if you multiply, say, damage by 1.5 and also by 2, D&D math says the end result is multiplying it by 2.5.

But when you're multiplying distance by 1.5 and also by 2, the end result is multiplying by 3.

Longbow has a 100 foot range increment; Longbow of Distance with Far Shot has a 300 foot range increment.

-Hyp.

Diomeneus

First Post
thanks, it seems a little overpowered then... a composite longbow has a range increment of 110 feat. Thus a cragtop archer with a Composite Longbow of Distance and the far shot feat (cragtop archers have 15 times the maximum range increment instead of 10 and at 4th level may fire a projectile weapon at the maximum range possible without any penalties) able to shoot 4950ft as a full round action.

110 ft
x3 (1.5 far shot x 2 distance)
=330ft
330x15=4950ft maximum range possible.
A normal round would incur a -15 penalty and allow for multiple shots
A horizon shot (full round action) would incur none.

yay for having an advanced griffon mount that is huge! I'm a little worried that the warband encounter will be a little too effective for the party.

irdeggman

First Post
Diomeneus said:
thanks, it seems a little overpowered then... a composite longbow has a range increment of 110 feat. Thus a cragtop archer with a Composite Longbow of Distance and the far shot feat (cragtop archers have 15 times the maximum range increment instead of 10 and at 4th level may fire a projectile weapon at the maximum range possible without any penalties) able to shoot 4950ft as a full round action.

110 ft
x3 (1.5 far shot x 2 distance)
=330ft
330x15=4950ft maximum range possible.
A normal round would incur a -15 penalty and allow for multiple shots
A horizon shot (full round action) would incur none.

yay for having an advanced griffon mount that is huge! I'm a little worried that the warband encounter will be a little too effective for the party.

If you have an Open Field of fire - which is the major advantage of archers in the first place - cutting down opponets while they are closing and not in a dungeon type of setting where "range" is not much of a factor.

Since most encounters seem to be otherwise that distance is not as effective.

green slime

First Post
I don't see it as a problem.

With the abilities of parties to instantly travel the globe teleport, manuever locally dimension door, disappear from sight (invisibility, etherealness), gaseous form hinder missiles by throwing up a wall of air, wind wall, or obscure vision through various fog clouds or darkness and similar.

And that is ignoring the mundane methods: start a fire, hide behind a tower shield, tree, or even a horse, lie low (increases AC), dig a hole, run even further away....

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Elethiomel said:
Also note that these archers have to notice that the party is there.
This is the big one, going by RAW the spot rules are a major hindrance to engaging at any distance. You may find even a relatively high level character NPC or PC doesn't have the modifier to successfully spot a medium target more than a couple hundred feet away in even good conditions despite being able to hit them a half mile away.

Also check the Wizards Character Optimization Board, I think I remember them managing an archer that could push a maximum range of 20,000ft plus. At the highest optimization levels you may have to locate your target via divination.

Remove ads