Fast Forward Entertainment: Best Books? (Updated: August/2012)

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Dude, that game sounds awesome! Right up me and my buddy's alley. Unfortunately, I can't find it for sale anywhere on the internet. I'll keep looking, but if anyone knows where I can pick this up, please let me know! :)

Sadly, I haven't seen it anywhere for quite awhile. Last I remember, The Compleat Strategist in New York City had a few copies lying around, but that was a while ago, and I no longer live in NYC.

S'mon

Legend
I have and like "Maze of Zayene: Dimensions in Flight" I think it's called, and with modification I am planning to use it as the capstone of my 3e campaign. Its evil-ruled prison dimensions are quite atmospheric and should work well as worlds under the thrall of Bafomet, the BBEG of my 3e campaign.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
"Orcfest" wasn't too bad, actually. The adventure was OK with a cool idea (the PCs masquerading as orcs with magical masks), the beginning DM's advice quite useful.

This doesn't mean that you can do anything with it. Strange that a niche publisher tries to do an introductory product fit for the unwashed masses.

Psion

Adventurer
The had a monster book late in their run that wasn't that bad. And there's some neat stuff buried in their treasure maps books, but mostly in terms of concepts; I wouldn't use most of the stats as written.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I have and like "Maze of Zayene: Dimensions in Flight" I think it's called, and with modification I am planning to use it as the capstone of my 3e campaign. Its evil-ruled prison dimensions are quite atmospheric and should work well as worlds under the thrall of Bafomet, the BBEG of my 3e campaign.

Err... the Maze series was put out by Necromancer Games (d20), except for The Eight Kings which was published by Different Worlds.

The original AD&D-compatible incarnations were published by Creations Unlimited.

Cheers!

Voadam

Legend
Deadliest Creatures Tome is a decent 3.5 monster collection.

I enjoyed the two Encyclopedias of Demons and Devils and the angel one. The stats in the two demons and devil ones are all over the place in terms of usability but it was fun to have a bunch of fluff that conflicted with core D&D and Book of Fiends stuff. I used some of the fluff in my games and was happy with it, though a lot of the stats can be very poor in d20 compliance, balance, or actual usability.

And the angel one was like Sentinels from Role-Aids, decent and there are not a lot of angel sourcebooks so this can fill a gap.

I recently got the Egypt tombs one which looks interesting in a D&D Egypt Hamunaptra sort of way but I haven't read it through yet.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I don't own any books by FFE but I'm curious to find out if there are any diamonds in the rough. FFE books are incredibly easy to get and are usually dirt cheap; however, I have resisted because I've heard so many bad things about FFE game design.

I realize that almost all of the FFE books are v.3.0, but I'm wondering if any of them has good "fluff." I'm most interested in learning about Demon Wars and Dungeon World; although, I have considered other books such as Green Races, Sundered Reaches, and the two Encyclopedias of Demons & Devils.

All suggestions (and dire warnings :p ) are greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Knightfall

As long as you don't spend over $2 on any one product, you're fine. :)

Seriously, though, there are some good concepts amid the horrible mechanics.

S'mon

Legend
Err... the Maze series was put out by Necromancer Games (d20), except for The Eight Kings which was published by Different Worlds.

The original AD&D-compatible incarnations were published by Creations Unlimited.

Cheers!

Oh, yeah - it's by Robert J Kuntz, I always get him mixed up with James Ward.:eek:

Don't buy any.

Don't buy any.

I've looked through several of their books (which is easy enough in a FLGS, because they're the books that don't sell). It's as though they just don't understand the system. Add to that poor production values, lackluster inspiration, etc.

Think of the opportunity cost. You could spend $2 on five of their books or $10 on PRACTICALLY ANY BOOK BY ANY OTHER 3PP. I'd bet you'd get more than 5 times the usable stuff in the one book than in the five...and it'd take up less space.

Remove ads