• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favored Classes

the_redbeard

Explorer
Favored Classes are always one of the original base classes - at least for any race I can think of.

However, there have been many new base classes that are variations of the original base classes. For instance, swashbuckler off of fighter. Spellthief off of rogue. Is it possible that these fit as variants of the base class to still count as the favored class of a race?

For example, a tiefling's favored class is rogue. Does that mean a spellthief/wizard would face experience penalties? If spellthief doesn't count as rogue, that race/class combo would.

I just made a rather convoluted build (maybe I'll post it later after I clean it up) and it is legal except for that difficulty (which is not actually illegal but crippling in XP).

Thanee

First Post
Well, you could play a human or half-elf, and I think there's a feat that turns a class into a favored class.

But officially, no, the new base classes are not included.
You can do that as a house rule, of course.

Bye
Thanee

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Welcome back to the Boards!

The thing is that the extra classes aren't core, and they couldn't officially say that your core character needs a supplement to multiclass - it sounds too much what 2e did, and would have people rioting on the streets to boot.

But, of course, noone keeps you from houseruling it for obvious reasons!

the_redbeard

Explorer
Thanee said:
Well, you could play a human or half-elf, and I think there's a feat that turns a class into a favored class.

But officially, no, the new base classes are not included.
You can do that as a house rule, of course.

Bye
Thanee

Hmmm - a feat that turns a class into a favored class?
Found some:
Arcane Schooling
Diverse Background - this has a prereq of "half human". I wonder if Tiefling counts? heh.

Thanks - I wouldn't have thought to look for those. I guess if the DM says "no" to the rogue/spellthief substitution then I have a fallback - though I'd have wished for other feats at first level.

Then again, I've heard some folks don't use the XP penalty rules. Huh. All in all, 3.0/3.5 seems to have a lot more multi-classing then previous versions.

Thanee

First Post
There's one more option... just live with it. ;)

I've already played a character with XP penalty for most of her career (elven rogue2/clericX played from 2nd to 14th level or so); it's really not such a big disadvantage as you might think.

Bye
Thanee

Votan

Explorer
In some cases the new core classes are actually better fits for the races than the original choice. However, giving multiple favored classes degrades the disadvantage of not playing a human or half-elf. And it can be tricky to replace in a careful fashion.

On the other hand, I'd houserule for the right character.

wayne62682

First Post
It must be said: The easiest way, of course, is to get rid of the ridiculous XP Penalty crap in the first place. It's nothing but a holdover from 2nd edition and designed to pigeonhole PCs into remaining only one class (barring PrCs) or screwing them royally otherwise, and holds no business in the current incarnation of D&D. Nearly every game I've ever been in has gotten rid of them entirely, and the balance has been perfect.

smootrk

First Post
wayne62682 said:
It must be said: The easiest way, of course, is to get rid of the ridiculous XP Penalty crap in the first place. It's nothing but a holdover from 2nd edition and designed to pigeonhole PCs into remaining only one class (barring PrCs) or screwing them royally otherwise, and holds no business in the current incarnation of D&D. Nearly every game I've ever been in has gotten rid of them entirely, and the balance has been perfect.
Seconded, although I take a different approach. I grant bonus kudos when a character takes levels in a 'favored class', usually a few skill points that can be used in racially or class appropriate skills, but I have used other tweaks like additional bonus hp for that level (usually 1), or an additional spell added to spellbook or known spells.

I also houserule expansions to the list of preferred classes according to race, much as others have suggested. For instance, Gnomes may be Beguilers, Artificers, or Illusionist Wizards (choice of one).

Last edited:

Quartz

Hero
I don't believe in Favoured Classes. D20 is about multiclassing: take fighter for combat and feats, take rogue for skills and stealth, take monk for inner discipline, etc.

Remove ads