• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favored enemy (dragon)!?

rgard

Adventurer
Heckler said:
There's plenty on "non-dragon" dragons his bonus would apply to.

Off the top of my head there are:

Pseudo and Faerie Dragons

in Races of the Dragon, I believe anything "Dragonblooded" counts as a dragon

there are several dragon-descended creatures in Dragon Magic

Letting him switch to something else isn't a bad idea either.

Hi, did WotC ever do a 3.0 or 3.5 Faerie Dragon? I saw a conversion of one some place, but if WotC did it can you direct me to the book?

Thanks,
Rich

Erratic K

First Post
There were so many half-dragon templated humanoids that it became kind of a joke when 3E came out. Maybe somebody at Dragon or the design crew had a ranger with favored enemy: Dragon.

Joking aside, that is one of the best ways to give them something to fight with out treasure inflation and the danger of fighting under CR'd dragons.

old sample half-dragon at wotc:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/3E_Monster_0800.asp

The other suggestions are good too.

rgard

Adventurer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Faerie Dragons are in Draconomicon, as I recall. Bad illustration -- find the ones from Dragon magazine instead.

Thank you Mr. Dustyboots! I have the original 1e or 2e Faerie Dragon from Dragon Mag. Did they do another version for 3.X and if yes, do the stats vary from the Draconomicon?

Thanks
Rich

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Maybe he's hoping to build up a huge favored enemy bonus for high levels? :)

I think the answer depends on your campaign. Do you have it basically planned out (you know roughly where you're going, and there just aren't any dragons), or are you just going to go where your players lead? If it's planned out (doesn't sound like it), maybe hint that dragon isn't a good way to go. Otherwise, there are a load of good ideas in this thread. Hey, you could even replace orcs with dragonkin as your standard mooks.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
rgard said:
Thank you Mr. Dustyboots! I have the original 1e or 2e Faerie Dragon from Dragon Mag. Did they do another version for 3.X and if yes, do the stats vary from the Draconomicon?
As far as I know, Draconomicon is their only 3E appearance. (I don't own Monsters of Faerun, so maybe they're there.)

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, according to WotC's compiled lists, they're only in Draconomicon (and I can vouch personally that they're not in Monsters of Faerun). There is a 3e conversion in the Creature Catalog, though. One of these would be a cool familiar probably.

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
The reason your PC took dragon at 1st level is not because he wants to face a bunch of dragons now. Its because the favored enemy bonuses get better with levels. At high level, he wants the best favored enemy bonuses against stuff he'll face at that level-- like dragons, or evil outsiders, etc.

Taking goblins as your favored enemy at 1st level might make sense in the sense that a 1st level character might likely face a goblin, but in the long run, is stupid, because at 20th level his best favored enemy stuff will be against a creature he does not need it against [he could kill a goblin with his eyes closed] and would almost never be facing anyway. Whereas against a dragon, he could need it.

So don't feel bad about not having dragon encounters for him-- he does not want them now. he is just getting prepared for them later.

ThirdWizard

First Post
A ranger took FE (dragon) in a campaign I ran. It didn't come up that often, but when it did, the ranger was always glad she had chosen it!

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Faerie Dragons are in Draconomicon, as I recall. Bad illustration -- find the ones from Dragon magazine instead.

They are also in Necromancer Games' Tome of Horrors. I ALWAYS use TOH in preference of wizards own bastardizations of old-school TSR.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads