D&D 5E Favorite "Against the Grain" builds that are still effective

Voort

Explorer
Create Bonfire also has some neat implications, but due to AL rules I can't take both it and Booming Blade.

There is one way around that: Go to a Con or other event with Fai Chen's and buy your character a cantrip scroll for the out-of-season spell. The next cantrip slot you gain from leveling, learn the new cantrip from the scroll.

^^ this. You posted two extremely popular builds.

My Cleric/Sorc was unconventional about 6 months ago, now he's super popular.

I get that VHuman Polearm Master is a bit popular, but I don't hear or see many people using it with Nature Cleric & Hunter Ranger. This was especially true when I started using it during Season 1. Usually, Polearm Master builds are centered around Fighter or Paladin.

As for my moon druid, it's the strategy of essentially playing an intelligent mount that makes it different. Plus, more people tend to favor Druid/Barbarian over Druid/Monk. It's the symbiotic relationship with the Mounted Combatant that allows it to work, by shoring up the melee defenses that the Druid/Barbarian has over the Druid/Monk and allowing Sentinel to proc more often. This was my Season 2 character, so its popularity wasn't nearly as high then as it is now.

So yes, while my example builds may be extremely popular now, they really weren't when I started playing them.

My AL character has this theme. I didn't grab all of the cantrips, but I'm trying to cherry-pick the good ones. I'm still leveling, but at Fighter 3/Warlock 5 I'll have:

• Thaumaturgy (from race)
  • Eldritch Blast (Warlock 1)
  • Sword Burst (Warlock 1)
  • Guidance (Book of Ancient Secrets)
  • Shillelagh (Book of Ancient Secrets)
  • Thorn Whip (Book of Ancient Secrets)
  • Minor Illusion (Warlock 4)
  • Booming Blade (from Eldritch Knight)
  • Mage Hand (from Eldritch Knight)

The basic premise is to get 20 AC from Medium Armor, Shield and Defensive style, and only need to pump one stat (Charisma).

Booming Blade + Shillelagh + War Caster is a pretty sick combo, and Booming Blade is awesome for EKs. But it feels like a lot of investment given that I can Thorn Whip for my OAs. I might swap those two, but what for? Acid Splash or Vicious Mockery and either Friends, Mending or Prestidigitation, maybe. Create Bonfire also has some neat implications, but due to AL rules I can't take both it and Booming Blade.

I dig it.. very creative!

RCanine

First Post
If I had to guess what the next FotM would be, I'd guess Rogue + Booming Blade combos, doubling up on cantrip damage and sneak attack, while not losing out on extra attacks like most other weapon classes do.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
I like to play a Rogue. As a tank. With a whip.

Sure it needs a few levels of barbarian for protection but it works.

Coyote81

First Post
Not AL legit but here's one for you:

Barbarian Shaman

VHuman Ritual Caster Find Familiar/Identify
Sage Background
Totem Barbarian6 Bear/Eagle Totems (Dex-build)
Rune Scribe4 Wind/Earth/Fire Runes
Bladesinger10

Uses a Short Spear (Re-skinned rapier) with Fur-skinned shield until level 12 when bladesinger comes online. He also uses a sling. His spear has the flame rune and his sling the earth rune.

He can use all of the rune abilities using his spell slots while raging, giving him far more versatility then your average barbarian. He has tons of tricks and uses his wizard levels for the best out of combat abilities, letting him fill in for just about what the situation calls for.

If you get to 20, he can also reduce his already resisted damage taken by expending spell slots. making him really tough.

Last edited:

If I had to guess what the next FotM would be, I'd guess Rogue + Booming Blade combos, doubling up on cantrip damage and sneak attack, while not losing out on extra attacks like most other weapon classes do.

I like to play a Rogue. As a tank. With a whip.

Sure it needs a few levels of barbarian for protection but it works.

I actually have a build that encompasses both of these points. I call it my Belmont Battlebuckler, and it's fully AL legal.

VHuman Folk Hero (swap Animal Handling & vehicle proficiency for Perception & language)
Stats: Str 10 Dex 16 Con 14 Int 8 Wis 12 Cha 14
Fighter 1/Swashbuckler Rogue 4/Battle Master Fighter 3/Rogue 17
ASI/Feats: Magic Initiate (Racial, Booming Blade, Blade Ward, Hex), Spell Sniper (4th, Green Flame Blade), +4 Dex (8th,10th), Martial Adept (12th), +2 Con (16th)
Fighting Style: Dueling/Defense (depends on preference of +2 damage or hitting AC 20)
Maneuvers: Trip Attack, Sweeping Attack, Riposte, Pushing Attack (MA), Disarming Attack (MA)
Skills/Tools: Athletics(Fighter/Expertise), Acrobatics(Fighter/Expertise), Insight(Racial), Perception (Background/Expertise), Stealth (Rogue), Survival (Background), Thieves' Tools (Rogue), Woodcarver's Tools (Background), Cartographer's Tools (Battle Master)
Languages: Common, Infernal, Abyssal
Gear: Studded Leather, Shield, Whip
Strategy: Sneak Attack + Maneuvers + BB/GFB for optimal DPR output. Add Hex if necessary. Spell Sniper extends range of BB/GFB to 10', allowing for them to be used with the full reach of the whip. Action Surge is for emergency Dodge/Blade Ward use.

Last edited:

Remove ads