• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite Christmas Music?

CarlZog

Explorer
Bing and David Drummer Boy Video

A little holiday memory lane:

http://www.videocodezone.com/videos/d/david_bowie/little_drummer_boy.html

From the 1930s to 1970s, every year, first on radio then TV, Bing Crosby did a Christmas special. Watching it was a serious tradition in my household.

In 1977, David Bowie was one of Bing's guests. It was a novelty at the time to have the old generation mixing with the new like that; the country was still staunchly divided between the WWII and Vietnam generations.

Bing died a month after it was filmed, but before it aired. His death lent a bittersweet poignancy to their duet, and I remember it was all anybody was talking about that holiday season.

Watching it nearly 30 years later, it still chokes me up.

Carl

Last edited:

DarrenGMiller

First Post
I like big band holiday music, but must have a vocalist. Harry Connick, Jr. or Frank are my favorites. Also, brass quintet music soothes my soul and the Maybe This Christmas series from Nettwerk Records is a must have on my list. My favorite track is "Baby Its Cold Outside" from Maybe This Christmas Tree.

DM

CarlZog said:
From the 1930s to 1970s, every year, first on radio then TV, Bing Crosby did a Christmas special. Watching it was a serious tradition in my household.
Indeed. I've been a huge Bing Crosby fan for most of my life. The guy was an amazing talent. I totally agree with Artie Shaw about Crosby: he was the first hip white person born in the U.S.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
I was just reminded of another favorite Christmas song: Robert Earl Keen's Merry Christmas From the Family. A modern classic!

"Carve the turkey turn the ball game on
Make Bloody Mary's
Cause We All Want One!
Send somebody to the Stop 'N Go
We need some celery and a can of fake snow
A bag of lemons and some Diet Sprites
A box of tampons, some Salem Lights
Haleluja, everybody say cheese
Merry Christmas from the Family."

Alenda

First Post
For me, Christmas music = Ray Conniff. I grew up listening to his jiving versions of Christmas classics, and will forever love them.

I tend to like Christmas music with words over instrumental renditions, especially if they're sung traditionally. My all-time favorite Christmas song is "Breath of Heaven" by Amy Grant. I'm not an Amy Grant fan at all, but this song always gets me emotional.

diaglo

Adventurer
Joshua Dyal said:
Indeed. I've been a huge Bing Crosby fan for most of my life. The guy was an amazing talent. I totally agree with Artie Shaw about Crosby: he was the first hip white person born in the U.S.
and his granddaughter was a babe in the buff for the playboy shoot.

Alenda

First Post
Oops... I forgot about one of my all-time favorites: "Santa Claus is Watching You" by Ray Stevens. An excerpt appears below;

"Well you may think you can sneak around
And get away with somethin' but there ain't no way
'Cause Santa's no fool, he's really super cool
He's the secret head of the C.I.A.
Crime don't pay
(You can't do nothin' 'cause you're never alone
He's even got a wiretap on your phone)

So baby if you ever do me wrong
Break my heart and leave me alone
When Christmas comes, you'll be cryin' too
'Cause Santa Claus is watchin' you
(He's everywhere - he's everywhere)

Oh, every Christmas Eve
He climbs on his sled full of toys
With the dual exhausts, side mirrors, fox tails, mud flaps and leopard skin seat covers
And spreads Christmas cheer to all good little girls and boys
And he say "On Dasher & Dancer & Prancer & Vixen & Comet & Cupid & Donder & Blitzen & Bruce & Marvin & Leon & Cletus & George & Bill & Slick & Dooright & Clyde & Ace & Blackie
& Queenie & Prince & Spot & Rover"

Where's Rudolph?
He's on a stakeout at your house

You can run, you can hide, but you can't get away, got binoculars focused on you every day"

That's a Christmas country staple (along with "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer")!

Henry

Autoexreginated
Rel said:
I was just reminded of another favorite Christmas song: Robert Earl Keen's Merry Christmas From the Family. A modern classic!

"Carve the turkey turn the ball game on
Make Bloody Mary's
Cause We All Want One!
Send somebody to the Stop 'N Go
We need some celery and a can of fake snow
A bag of lemons and some Diet Sprites
A box of tampons, some Salem Lights
Haleluja, everybody say cheese
Merry Christmas from the Family."

Too close to real-life childhood christmases, so I try to forget that song. ;)

Ranger REG

Explorer
My favorites?

"Santa Baby" ... as performed by Kylie Minogue. Great holiday stripper music.

"Please Come Home For Christmas" ... by the Eagles. Because it's the Eagles.

Remove ads