• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite Class Combo's

Fallenibilis

First Post
I was wondering what most peoples favorite multi class combo's are and why?

I've only been playing for a year or two but i think my favorite class combo is duskblade/rouge im playing one now and its working quite well. Its quick packs decent power and is quite versitile and the additon of tumble as skill from rouge lets you seek out and target select enemy alot easier and safer.

The only other class combo that i've been been drawn to is war mage/cleric as they offset each others weakness quite nicely in my opinon of course i've yet to play one so i would know for sure.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Fighter/Cleric type was always one of my favorites.

Rogue/Swordsage is great, especially with feat Rogue if doing Rogue 4 / Swordsage x. For mainly Rogue, Swordsage at ECL 9-10 to get Assassin's Stance, Island of Blades stance, Distracting Ember and Cloak of Deception manuevers works well for sneak attacking. Plus, then at level 9 you can grab Shadow Blade and add dex to melee damage.

Monk 1 (or 2) / Druid x is nice, though if the DM lets you get wis to AC from a monk's belt, fairly pointless.

Before all the splat books, especially Tome of Battle, came out, getting a level of Barbarian was nice for my Rogues. I liked being able to search for traps and still have speed 20, so it didn't slow the party down. The d12 HD and +1 BAB helped in combat, and Rage 1/day was a nice panic button to have. With all of the splat books, I created a 2/3 feat Rogue with the rest as levels in Barb (by level 16 it would have evened out to an 8/8 split) who was loads of fun, using Whirling Frenzy, Wolf Totem (tripping and scent), Lion Totem (pounce), and eventually some other Barb variant to use Str for Intimidate checks along with the Rogue side giving UMD and tons of combat feats to have a very fun "battle artist." He could trip, use Knockback to hit AND bull rush people, then using domino rush to play a game of bowling....very versatile character in and out of fights. Felt like I was using a martial adept without actually having martial maneuvers.

I always liked the idea of a Hexblade/Monk/Kensai build focused on defense and counterattacks that was just frustratingly hard to hurt -- Evasion and Mettle, Arcane Toughness, Withstand to auto-pass Reflex saves, high AC with Expertise feats, Defensive Throw and Hold the Line to counter anyone who either a) charged at him, b) missed attacking him, or c) both. Oh, and Deflect Arrows from Monk to stop ranged attacks, too. Of course, that idea was back from when C.Warrior was the only complete book out. Nowadays, I'd want to add in Tome of Battle goodies, like the Counter Charge maneuver (and other Setting Sun stuff), Evasive Reflexes feat to backpedal out of reach as foes provoke AoOs, etc... With the Diamond Mind save replacers, Kensai might not be needed for the build anymore.

Last edited:

Dragonnety

First Post
My favorite character was a dark elf monk/ninja/assassin. My stats were really good and he was quite fearsome. With a good feat selection he could fight almost anything (although my d20 hates me)

I also like rogue/fighter. Either focused on ranged combat, or the classic two weapon fighting.

For the time being I play a fighter/Wizard/Spellsword. Also a great character that can stand against all circumstances.

I also have to add that multiclassing is the key to a true customized character. I encourage it both as a DM and a player.

Herzog

Adventurer
I'm rather happy with my Lion Totem Barbarian 1/Ranger4/Scout4/Tempest1 character.

I'ts mostly ranger/scout, with TWF/skirmish made powerfull through the Lion Totem Barbarian's Pounce ability.

Ideal for the (low/no magic) campaign he's in, since he does't rely on magical spells or items for his abilities to be worth anything.

Less successfull is my AD&D 2nd edition Elf Mage/Rogue. Mostly because of low hp rolls, but also because of the DM's XP method: at the end of every adventure, you get all the XP for the adventure. Which means I miss out most of the XP because of the 'max 1 lvl per XP gain' rule.

A character that has yet to prove itself is my DragonWrought Kobold Sorcerer/Wizard/Ultimate Magus.
She's got Dragon Wings, and I'm planning to take Improved Dragon Wings as well, to make her fly. I used the Races of the Dragon Web Enhancement option to gain another lvl of sorcerer in exchange for 3 hp, so at lvl 8 (Wiz5/Sor1/UM2) she's Wiz Effective Level 6 CL 7 Sorcerer Effective Level 4 CL 5
She's got a lot of spells, but she lacks the power of the higher level spells, and I'm still waiting to see how that pans out.

Shin Okada

Explorer
Rogue/Cleric/Shadowbane Stalker was one of my favorite PC. He was an ultimate problem solver. With rogue skills (often augmented by Divine Insight spell), cleric spell casting & sor/wiz magic items thanks to Magic domain, he was useful in ANY situation. Also, a suspicional investigator was fun to role play.

It was also fun to play Warmage/Paladin/Havoc Mage/Eldritch Knight. He was good at both slicing and blasting his opponents. He was gaining so much from his high CHA. But I played him before various supplements were published. If I re-make him now, I will make him an Abjurant Champion and maybe let him learn Wraithstrike via PHB II warmage alternative class feature.

Another fun combo was a Half-Elf Marshal/Fighter/Paladin/Outcast Champion. With his two auras (marshal and outcast champion) he gave 10+ bonus to will saves for all the party members. He could easily let a Frenzied Berserker PC end his frenzy.

In a campaign I am currently running, a PC is a Warforged Duskblade/Paladin/Dragon Disciple/Pious Templer/Fighter. He has a dozen or so of immunities and can fly. And have very high AC and HPs. One of the most unstoppable PC I have ever seen. As this campaign started at L4, it was very fun to see his "transformation".

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
In FRPGs, I don't have an actual favorite combo, but I do have a favorite type of combo. I have a strong tendency to play PCs with a mix of arcane spellcasting and martial prowess.

Not necessarily great skill in either arena, but also not necessarily a slouch- it all depends on the PC and particular FRPG. So one PC might be a great warrior and an arcane dabbler, another might be a master arcanist who knows his way around a sword, and another might be balanced between the two aspects.

And, of course, there may be other stuff mixed in.

coyote6

Adventurer
I had fun playing a dwarven ranger/fighter/barbarian for a while. Ordinarily, he played tank -- shield and waraxe, etc -- but when things got ugly, he'd drop the shield to go two-handed on the waraxe, rage, and start the Power Attacking.

You have to be careful how you level, if you want to avoid having the Will save of a drunken ADHD bunny rabbit, but it was pretty fun, what with the absolutely ridonkulous Fort save. Never did get past mid-levels, though. If I was playing him now, I'd definitely try to get Steadfast Determination (no auto-fail on Fort, and get to use the huge Con score for Will saves? You betcha!).

Aus_Snow

First Post
Some of the most memorable have, coincidentally I guess, been quite suboptimal. There was the Paladin of Freedom / Bard, for instance (I think the DM came up with a Complete Adventurer-style feat so multiclassing was possible and worthwhile, however.) Then there was the Ranger / Psion (mostly Psion) in the early days. Heh, how we learn in time. Oh yeah, the Wilderness Rogue / Druid too.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Monk/Rogue is foolishly effective as a magekiller. With improved mobility and excellent saves (including Reflex), he's a prime candidate to Tumble through enemy lines to gun for the spellcaster in back. And if you fight primarily humanoid opponents, there is potential to be a wicked disarm/tripper or many wails with TWF.

Bard/Warlock has a good flavor to me (as well as good synergy), as does Favored Soul/Sorcerer.

Fighter 4/anything is generally pure Win.

Remove ads