• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite D&D Retroclone?

scruffygrognard

Adventurer
Hey Yora,

Some quick-fixes that I found worked were for C&C were:
1] Get rid of primes, set the challenge base to 15 (or 13, if you're feeling more generous), and give humans a +1 to all attribute checks.
2] Make combat dominance apply to all foes with 1/2 the levels or hit dice of the fighter.
3] Get rid of the fatiguing after-effect of the berserker rage ability.
4] Ditch healing for illusionists but give them access to more spells.

Here's a link for my houserules:
PHB: http://www.scruffygrognard.com/documents/phb.pdf
DMG: http://www.scruffygrognard.com/documents/dmg.pdf

If nothing else, you could mine A LOT of spells from AD&D and 3rd edition that have been ported into the game.

Happy gaming!

Last edited:

Libramarian

Adventurer
Thanks Libramarian! Have you been running a game with my rules? If so, how have they been working out for you and your group?

Not recently, but about five years ago I ran the slave lords series with AD&D3 and it worked really well. That was basically my introduction to OSR gaming. (I used Castles & Crusades for a short period before that but chose AD&D3). This was before you added the DMG so when I began to want a complete game I moved to BECMI D&D and then finally taught myself 1e, which is now my edition of choice. I owe my appreciation for Gygaxian prose to AD&D3 :) I think if anybody is looking for a "d20-ified" version of old D&D this is the game they want.

Meatboy

First Post

Tough call on a favorite. I really like Labyrinth Lord and Dark Dungeons for their direct capture of old-school compatibility. Swords & Wizardry is pretty solid as well. Castles & Crusades I haven't picked up, but the products look great and the game is well supported. Fantastic Heroes & Witchery is new and very nicely presented, though there are a few elements that don't mesh with what I prefer in my "traditional" fantasy game.

I supported Adventures in the East Mark just for the artwork, and am looking forward to the release.

But I have to admit while everything is close and tastes good, nothing tastes exactly right ... so I went and wrote my own. MAGES & MONSTERS is kind of BECMI-meets-d20 and thus far is hitting the sweet spot for me. You can get the draft rules for free here at EN World ... see the thread on the game.

Remove ads