• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Favorite non-WoTC FIFTH EDITION adventures?

redrick

First Post
There's tons of adventures being written by non-Wizards folks for D&D 5e. It seems that [MENTION=3586]MerricB[/MENTION] has already reviewed over 50 of them!

I'm curious, if folks were to put together a list of "Best non-WotC Adventures for D&D 5e", which adventures would be on it? The adventures have to be written specifically for 5e (though conversions of existing Pathfinder or similar adventures are acceptable), and they have to be published by somebody other than WoTC.

I've only played a few so far, but I'm going to nominate Bad Moon Rising by Steve Winter, published in Quests of Doom: Volume 1 by Necromancer Games.

It's a nice mystery adventure with a minimal, but well-described town setting. The 5e stats are all there (though I ended up tweaking some of the combats and adding a spell-caster component to fit my own Glantri campaign). The adventure itself is fairly short, but it provides a great springboard for a number of sidequests and adventures that can be drawn out into a nice mini-campaign. There's just enough in the town to get you started, while also leaving a lot of holes to be filled in as fits the individual campaign. The adventure seemed ready to put down roots directly in my campaign world and grow in the direction that my players and I saw fit.

Which other 5e adventures represent the cream of the crop?

redrick

First Post

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
We really need to get all these added to the reviews system here so folks can search, sort, and rate them.

redrick

First Post
We really need to get all these added to the reviews system here so folks can search, sort, and rate them.

Yes, that would be great.

We occasionally have people in our group who want to try their hand at DM'ing, and I'd love to be able to have a list of great adventures I can point them to. I send them Merric's "Great List", but it's a little overwhelming.

Also, I just love "best" lists.

--EDITED TO ADD--

Also, with regards to omnibus adventure books, such as Quests of Doom, I personally find it much more valuable to have individual adventure reviews rather than a blanket review of the whole book. I'm actually holding off on reading most of the QoD adventures, in case one of the other DMs in our group decides to run one. That way I can say, "this one's supposed to be good," because I know, from experience, that not all the adventures in that book are that great. And I'll happily buy an omnibus book for one or two top-rate adventures.

(I bring it up because I notice that Quests of Doom is one entry on the reviews page here at ENWorld, which is one of the reasons I've held off on reviewing it. I don't want to review a book where I haven't even read, let alone played, 2/3 of the adventures.)

Last edited:

JeffB

Legend
I picked up the 3 latest GG modules in the KS and the Qod pt1 and pt2, but nothing has wowed me at all to bother running it.

Instead I've been converting other edition stuff. Osr, one of the Thule 13th age adventures, 2e, 3e, etc.

Remove ads