• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite Wielding Style

What is your favorite wielding style?

• One handed weapon and open hand

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • Two handed weapon

Votes: 41 26.1%
  • One handed weapon and shield

Votes: 49 31.2%
  • Two weapons

Votes: 39 24.8%
  • Two shields?

Votes: 8 5.1%

gamecat

Explorer
What's your favorite way to wield weapons? I personally leave my off hand empty, or carry a wand in it just cause it looks bitchin'.

Oni

First Post
Depends on what I'm looking for, damage I'd probably go twin short swords. I haven't done all the math but the way I figure it is this great sword deals about the same amount of damage as two short swords (total of 2d6+str*1.5), however once you start adding in specialization and magical weapons the twin style looks like it should outdistance the the two-handed style. Take for instance an 18 str fighter specialized in Greatsword with a +5 greatsword, he will dea 2d6+13. Now take that same fighter specialize him in short sword, and give him two +4 short swords, he'll deal something like 2d6+18, and on top of that as he is attacking more often he will have more opportunities to critical. Now my logic and or calculations may be wrong, but thats generally the way I think of it. Now if I'm looking for defence it sword and shield all the way. But I'm going to vote twin weapon style, because in the end style wins the day. :D

gamecat

Explorer
*clinging defiantly to the stuffed animal that is character aesthetics* Dammit! I hate when you can't justify powergaming...

Oni

First Post
Well in the long run each has its advantages and disadvantages, but one choice is probably as good as another, well except one handed no shield, but I doubt many soldiers would run out on the battlefield with a one handed weapon and no shield if they had the choice (well before the advent of firearms). As far as I'm concerned the history of warfare is about powergaming, always trying to devise the most potent defense against the latest weapon, or trying to devise the most efficient weapon for breaching your opponents defenses, this is the reason that there is such a tremendous variety of arms and armour.

spunky_mutters

First Post
I like one handed-open hand, just for style and to carry something else useful.

As far as the calculations go, I think two-handed weapons carry the day up to the point where the fighter has enough total feats to both offset the two weapon penalties, and trick out his short sword skills. Remember, it's not just damage potential, it's damage potential x hit %.

Taloras

First Post
Twin sword style, also known as Florentine in history. I like to use a rapier and short sword (would use 2 rapiers, but they arent light weapons, unless your large)

Valmur_Dwur

First Post
I chose - 2 shields (Sir Robin style I believe:D ) Actually I rely on character concept. I have a Paladin that wields a Longsword with 2 hands to give him that 1.5x str bonus. I have a Dwarven fighter who took EWP Dwarven Waraxe so he could also use a shield and I'm in the process of having my (so-called) Super munchkin Rog1; Brd2; Rgr2 wield a shortsword and dagger. He's a 1/2 elf BTW. So I chose gamecat's way:eek:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads