• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite Wielding Style

What is your favorite wielding style?

• One handed weapon and open hand

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • Two handed weapon

Votes: 41 26.1%
  • One handed weapon and shield

Votes: 49 31.2%
  • Two weapons

Votes: 39 24.8%
  • Two shields?

Votes: 8 5.1%

the_bruiser

First Post
Well, to me dual-wielding (DW) is clearly the coolest style - but I've done some pretty extensive math on this and it's clearly inferior to the two-handed weapon (2HW) and weapon/shield (WS) styles.

In my campaign, I've done two things to help this.

1) There's a feat available if you have ambidexterity and two-weapon fighting that removes the -2 penalty to attacks.
2) Anybody can save (i.e., forego during their action) attacks and use them to attempt to block hits on them later in the round. To optimize DW with this ability, use your main hand (full damage) to attack and your off-hand (half damage) to attempt to block incoming attacks. This works somewhat like the block ability in 2E. It gives them the versatility that I feel DW is meant to have. If you're fighting against somebody with DW and they are much better than you, it can be almost impossible to hit them, whereas the DW defense is not even as good as a shield against somebody way better than them or a big frickin' giant with a club. In both of those cases, the DW might as well go all-attack.

Just a thought. If anybody would care to see the analysis let me know. I haven't posted very much, but I think I can be e-mailed. Or I could post the file here tomorrow, if anyone cares.

Wolfen Priest

First Post
Well, as far as I'm concerned, if a cleric (or other similarly armed PC) can move and cast a spell in a single round, then she can stow her weapon while she's moving, and then cast her spell. So it's basically a non-issue.

If she doesn't move, then certainly the stowing of said weapon can be the move-equivalent action for that round.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads