• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fear the Blade master V1.04

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Ah, a nice small sig! Thanks for chopping out the deadwood. ;)

Okay, here's what I see.

1/ The requirements are too easy. The only hard Feat is Combat Expertise, and that's a sweet Feat. Since this PrC is focused on gaining insight and skill with movement, I'd change the pre-reqs to the following:
Feats: Weapon Focus (any sword or dagger), Dodge, Combat Expertise
Skill Ranks: Tumble 6+, Balance 6+, Sense Motive 6+

2/ Flurry is too good for a full BAB class which you can get in to via other full BAB classes. It's really only balanced for Monks because they can only do it with stinky weapons (20/x2 crit weapons). I'd prefer something that is especially sword-like, such as parrying (dodge bonus to AC vs. melee attacks), or something.

3/ Deflect Arrow is cool. :)

4/ Again, I prefer a flat bonus to an stat ability mutator. Int is already quite strong -- skill points are very nice things, and this class has a GREAT skill list. Anything with full BAB and Tumble is nice. What would I do... hmm, maybe augment the bonus that the Dodge feat provides to +2 at 2nd level and +4 at 4th level. So, this guy is great at duels, but can be overwhelmed by wolf-pack tactics or archers.

5/ It's really hard to balance 'melee skill checks'. I'd change this to a flat Insight bonus to attack rolls... though I like the move-action limit. Hmm. Perhaps consider this: "As a standard action, the Blademaster may make a single attack which gains a +5 Insight bonus to hit. If this strike threatens a criticial, he gains a +10 Insight bonus to the confirm roll."

I like the basics, but the mechanical stuff needs a bit of smoothing. :)

Cheers, -- N

Sledge

First Post
Looks much better now. I'm always a bit leery of classes that provide another stats bonus to AC without a cap, but this one "may" be safe. On the other hand what will it hurt to have the AC bonus capped at Blade master level?

jaker2003

Explorer
Well, it's been more than 2 weeks, I guess anyone oppossed to this incarnation has spoken their piece. Well, I guess I'll print off the Blade Master and stuff it into my books for character use.

gamecat

Explorer
I think the spot weakness ability is a bit much - perhaps tone the bonus to attack down to a +2 and keep the +10 to confirm?

jaker2003

Explorer
That does seem to be the general rule, but the Blade Master is the one guy who can take down the Really Big (uber hit point) bad guy without having to rely on magic. +5 is 150% better than +2, but the ability represents training and practice building up to that ability. A character can gain +2 to hit at every other level with some abilities out there, but this requires skill that excludes those quick power-ups. besides, you only benefit from the ability if you use a standard action for ONE attack a round

If it's any consolation, the ability probably won't be used for anything more than canceling out the BAB penalty when using Power Attack.

I originally had the ability using the Blade Master's Int bonus (max +5) for the attack bonus and twice the Int Bonus (max +10) for the confirm. But I was told that it would be simpler to have a set bonus.

I intend to keep it at +5
If you have a reason (like a comparison) that the ability is too much, please share.

Brain

First Post
perhaps make the spot weakness ability require a sense motive check vs the target's bluff (the reverse of a feint) where the blade master gets his sense motive + BAB?

tjoneslo

First Post
Applying the Class Construction Guide to this class I get the following:

Hit Dice d10 (12.5), 2 skill points per level (2.5), 12 class skills (6), Good BAB (15), one good save (6), no weapons (0), no armor (0), Chosen weapon (2), Disbelief (2), Deflect Arrows (2), Canny Defense (2), Spot Weakness (4), Requires BAB 5th Level (-2), requires 3 skills at 3rd level (-3), requires 3 feats (-3). Total: 46

This is not an unreasonable PrC, at least from a point view.

jaker2003

Explorer
Brain said:
perhaps make the spot weakness ability require a sense motive check vs the target's bluff (the reverse of a feint) where the blade master gets his sense motive + BAB?

Sounds more like a house rule in my opinion

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads