• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Feat ideas for a kind of strange character

Doctor DM

First Post
I'm playing in a Western Steampunk game using for the most part 3.5 rules, one of our new players has a great character, but we're trying to find the best feats for him.

It's an odd character, a multi class Fighter / Tinker from the Warcraft RPG. He's a nearly 7 foot tall hulk of a man who invents wacky stuff. His two main weapons are thrown firebombs and poison gas bombs, and His #1 weapon, what his character is pretty much centered around is his giant steam powered techno hammer. Every other round it hits for 5d6+Str and a half, "uncharged" rounds for 1d10+Str and a half.

His feats so far are: Exotic Weapon Proficiency, Power Atk, Cleave, Build Big Weapons, Rich (house rule feat, get extra money, which he uses for inventions)

Really cool character. Our inventor is also our beefy frontline damage dealer. He hits REALLY hard when he connects, but is not all that accurate. We're looking for something that will boost his atk, as well as other useful feats. Remember, he can create a ton of items too.

I was thinking Improved trip, combined with some kind of super tripping whip attachment invention or something, should make him hit a lot more with his hammer.

BENINHB

First Post
Knowledge Devotion would help him hit and could be fluffed to fit with a tinkerers understanding of how things work and how to break them

emoplato

First Post
I'm playing in a Western Steampunk game using for the most part 3.5 rules, one of our new players has a great character, but we're trying to find the best feats for him.

It's an odd character, a multi class Fighter / Tinker from the Warcraft RPG. He's a nearly 7 foot tall hulk of a man who invents wacky stuff. His two main weapons are thrown firebombs and poison gas bombs, and His #1 weapon, what his character is pretty much centered around is his giant steam powered techno hammer. Every other round it hits for 5d6+Str and a half, "uncharged" rounds for 1d10+Str and a half.

His feats so far are: Exotic Weapon Proficiency, Power Atk, Cleave, Build Big Weapons, Rich (house rule feat, get extra money, which he uses for inventions)

Really cool character. Our inventor is also our beefy frontline damage dealer. He hits REALLY hard when he connects, but is not all that accurate. We're looking for something that will boost his atk, as well as other useful feats. Remember, he can create a ton of items too.

I was thinking Improved trip, combined with some kind of super tripping whip attachment invention or something, should make him hit a lot more with his hammer.

Don't have him make a seperate weapon for a single feat. Along with impoved trip he should get knockdown basically a free trip attempt when he deals 10 damage or more. Belt of giant strength will increase his strength by 6. Since he is a craftsman has he looked at the warblade? That class really loves a high intelligence score getting many bonuses from it plus he gets the benefit of increased hit points and skill points, still can take high level fighter feats, and is able to utilize martial manuevers which are incredibly powerful. For more details consult the Tome of Battle or also named the book of the nine swords. Weapon focus is also standard to many badass feats and prestige classes. Exotic weapon master has increased trip capability and combat reflexes allows to make as attacks of opportunity a round equal to dex. modifier.

Last edited:

woodnman412

First Post
Sounds like the character is kinda based around the weapon he uses.

Attach a retractable spiked chain/bolas onto the hammer with Imp Trip with +'s on the trip or a "reel um in" when the weapon is charged. Imp Trip requires Combat Expertise unless you waive that. Trip um n reel um in with AoO when they try to stand.

I gave my tank PC a shield that will Lasso his target into him. I've been letting him brace for a "charge" when he uses it for a bit of extra fun.

GL

Last edited:

Remove ads