• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Feat-less alternate human

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Looking for a human alternate. This assumes no variant human, and other races are as per PHB (not TCoE).

Propose:

+2 to one ability score. +1 to 2 other ability score.
+1 skill proficiency and 1 tool proficiency.

I could add more, but want to keep it fairly light, and general. But also want human PCs.

ECMO3

Hero
Looking for a human alternate. This assumes no variant human, and other races are as per PHB (not TCoE).

Propose:

+2 to one ability score. +1 to 2 other ability score.
+1 skill proficiency and 1 tool proficiency.

I could add more, but want to keep it fairly light, and general. But also want human PCs.
This seems strictly inferior to a PHB half-elf.

a half elf gets these same ASIs plus 2 skills, a language, darkvision and fey ancestery for charm and sleep resistance.

Given that I think you need more than you have. I would say give them the ASIs plus 2 skills, a tool and 2 languages

Another option is to give them the ASIs and 2 backgrounds, which has a good thematic angle too I think - you are a soldier who is really a spy for a foreign government .... you are an outlander who was pressed into service as a gladiator .... you are a street urchin who managed to get an aprentiship with a local sage, but you never forgot your street sense. I think this kinds of hits on the trope that humans are versatile and can do anything.

Last edited:

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
The discretionary ASI's are very strong. Drop the tool proficiency and it's perfect.

This seems strictly inferior to a PHB half-elf.

a half elf gets these same ASIs

So, again, not using Tasha's. So the Half-elf would probably still dominate for at least bard, warlock and sorcerer. Though even here, human is not that far off. Maybe thats OK?

Or, I give another unique benefit. Like saving throw proficiency.

jgsugden

Legend
Consider taking the choice out of the feat (or limiting the choice of feat), but keeping the feat. Make subtypes of humans that each gain a particular feat based not upon their genetics or culture, but on their history and training.

For example, an Academic Human might get to choose Observant, Linguist, Skilled or Skill Expert. A Military Human may get to choose from Weapon Master, Shield Master, Polearm Master, Mounted Combatant, Crusher, Slasher, etc... Avoid the few feats that are problematic.

In one campaign that I played in the DM had a deck of feats. When someone elected to take a feat rather than an ASI, they drew cards from the deck and selected the card they wished to keep for their feat. If the feat was passed upon, it got a checkmark. If you drew two cards with feats with checkmarks, you could take two cards with checkmarks and get 2 feats for the price of 1. Also, because the card was kept, only one PC could have a feat at any given time. The number of cards you could draw depended upon a scoring system that reflected your PC's theoretical balance score - it was convolute, and I disagreed with the assessments it created.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Just to understand the goal, why a variant human at all? While definitely the weaker of the two, the standard human isn't a slouch. And being weaker to the top tier of races still leaves plenty of room to be respectable.

I'm pretty sure that standard human with one of the scores as a +2 instead of +1 is well over the average for races, why is the +1 to all human unable to meet your requirements?

Once I understand what niche you are attempting to fill, we can do so in less generic ways.

Shiroiken

Legend
So, again, not using Tasha's. So the Half-elf would probably still dominate for at least bard, warlock and sorcerer. Though even here, human is not that far off. Maybe thats OK?

Or, I give another unique benefit. Like saving throw proficiency.
I think giving a pair of floating +1s with a bonus skill, tool, language, and saving throw proficiency would be really good, meeting the assumption of humans being versatile. It's similar to the variant human, specifically giving parts of resilient and prodigy (XGtE), so it's balanced against the same (half of two feats, instead of a single feat).

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Just to understand the goal, why a variant human at all? While definitely the weaker of the two, the standard human isn't a slouch. And being weaker to the top tier of races still leaves plenty of room to be respectable.

I'm pretty sure that standard human with one of the scores as a +2 instead of +1 is well over the average for races, why is the +1 to all human unable to meet your requirements?

Once I understand what niche you are attempting to fill, we can do so in less generic ways.

Standard human is OK, and I have had some. But, many here on these boards would tell you that its under-powered.

Honestly, its just to give humans a little bump.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Standard human is OK, and I have had some. But, many here on these boards would tell you that its under-powered.

Honestly, its just to give humans a little bump.
So why not just give it a little bump and create something with it's own niche, instead of making a +2/+1 vehicle like the other races. Give it a free skill or tool proficiency, or a once a day power.

Sample
Determination: Add d4 to one attack role, skill check, or saving throw that you failed. Once you use this you may not use it again until after a long rest.

Remove ads