• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Feat: Negate Critical

hong

WotC's bitch
(Idea taken from a previous thread: http://test.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14484)

You have the ability to turn crippling hits into merely dangerous ones.

Prerequisites: Base Attack Bonus +7, Dex 13+

Benefit: When struck by a critical hit or a sneak attack, you may make an opposed attack roll to turn it into a normal hit. For the opposed roll, the attacker makes a new roll at the same bonus as the attack that resulted in a crit or sneak attack, rather than reusing the original roll or (for crits) the threat confirmation roll. This counts against your total attacks of opportunity for the round.

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
Might be better worded:

When a critical threat is scored against you, you can make an attack roll at your highest bonus and substitute it for your AC when the attackers rolls to confirm the critical. This counts as an attack of opportunity for the round.

Personally, I'd just get fortified armor.

hong

WotC's bitch
Dinkeldog said:
Personally, I'd just get fortified armor.

You could do that, however a couple of complaints that are commonly heard around the traps:

1) classes like fighters, barbarians, rangers etc are too dependent on items for their viability;

2) there aren't enough high-level feats suitable for these classes.

So this is an attempt to redress the balance.

hong

WotC's bitch
(bump)

Rejigged version, after feedback from UNsenet:

Prerequisites: BAB +6, Dodge, Combat Reflexes, Dex 13+

Benefit: When struck by a critical hit or sneak attack, you may make an opposed attack roll to turn the blow into a regular attack. Your opponent uses the same bonus on the opposed roll as on the attack that resulted in the critical hit or sneak attack. You use your normal attack bonus on the opposed roll, except that you may choose to use either your Dex or Str modifier, whichever is better. You may use this feat a number of times per round equal to 1 + your Dex bonus.

You can use this feat while using a shield or armour of fortification (see the DMG), in which case you must choose whether or not to use this feat before applying the armour's enchantment. If you are using a ranged weapon, you make the opposed roll as if you were unarmed.

[edit: removed all references to AoOs, changed opposed attack roll slightly, added feat prereqs]

Jasperak

Adventurer
This seems to be one of the better ideas for a feat than I have seen in awhile. Is it the only one for increasing combat defense around? Instead of doing more and more damage, I'd like to see some that make defense easier. Kudos. BTW way, I am stealing it (more or less.)

Beowulf

First Post
This is a real rogue-killer. Any fighter worth his salt would take this feat at higher levels, making rogues nearly useless in combat against one.

hong

WotC's bitch
Beowulf said:
This is a real rogue-killer. Any fighter worth his salt would take this feat at higher levels, making rogues nearly useless in combat against one.

Well, better that than fortification armour, I say.

Also, I might change the no. of uses per round to (BAB/6), rounded down.

Remove ads