• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Feat recommendations for 1st level cleric

phillipjp

First Post
Shin Okada said:

If a cleric chooses War domain, he can.

Well, ok, technically yes a cleric who chooses the War domain can get those feats as abilities.

However, Kerrwyn was asking which feats (plurality assumes human cleric) his wife's cleric should pick at 1st level. If she chooses the War domain, she's not exactly picking those feats--she is assigned them. And, she still has her 1st level (and possibly bonus human) feat to decide on... :p

Last edited:

Darklone

No chance.

You cast defensively, make your concentration check DC15+spell level (with Combat Casting bonus), no AoO. Then, right before your spell goes off, you get hit by the readied attack (and the 15 arrows of hidden archers) and make another concentration check DC 10+ dealt damage (without Combat Casting Bonus). You fail, your spell says hasta luego.

ForceUser

Explorer
Darklone said:
No chance.

You cast defensively, make your concentration check DC15+spell level (with Combat Casting bonus), no AoO. Then, right before your spell goes off, you get hit by the readied attack (and the 15 arrows of hidden archers) and make another concentration check DC 10+ dealt damage (without Combat Casting Bonus). You fail, your spell says hasta luego.
I always thought that readied actions triggered the instant their conditions were met. So if the trigger condition was "when the enemy cleric begins to cast a spell" and that cleric begins casting defensively, wouldn't it make sense that he be allowed to apply the +4 to his roll verses the damage?

Storminator

First Post
Clerics don't really need great melee stats to be effective in melee, especially with the War and Destruction powers. I built a spell casting cleric, and was quite shocked to find out how good he is at bashing things. With Smite and a few good buffs, I don't mind putting my bad stats in STR, DEX, and CON.

But if you're going Power Attack you need a 13 STR, which means rearrange the stats. And if you go 3.5, size up her weapon to two handed. Two handed Smiting, Power Attack, with Divine Favor and Divine Might... whack!

PS

Darklone

ForceUser said:
I always thought that readied actions triggered the instant their conditions were met. So if the trigger condition was "when the enemy cleric begins to cast a spell" and that cleric begins casting defensively, wouldn't it make sense that he be allowed to apply the +4 to his roll verses the damage?

Sorry, this is the Rules forum, we're not talking about sense here :D

It might make sense, but the feat description states rather clearly that the bonus is applied to the concentration check while casting defensively.

Lab Monkey

First Post
Scribe Scroll is a great choice. Huge spell lists, many spells that you want to have handy, but you don't want to prepare for an average adventure. This is my #1 choice for a low level cleric.

Combat Casting, for reasons previously mentioned, is not a good feat. Take Skill focus, conc. if that's what you really want.

Extra Turning isn't too good, espcially at 1st level. Are you really going to have 9 times / day (3+2(Chr)+4) that you need this ability. Feats are precious for a cleric, only take this one if you really need it.

For a melee cleric with a decent Chr, I like Power Attack and Divine Might (DotF). (You'll need to get your Str up to 13 in order to do this). You get your Chr bonus to damage for a number of rounds = to your Chr. It gives you a nice dmg bonus, and it provides you with a use for those that undead turning ability on adventures not involving undead. Make sure you talk to your DM about this first- the text in DotF makes it sound like you have to use a standard action to activate this feat, but the Sage ruled that it was a free action to do so. That makes a huge difference in the utility of this feat.

Remove ads