• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Feat Workshop

CapnZapp

Legend
From your review, I'm guessing that you have some sort of table rule requiring attacks to be rolled one at a time?

Extra d6 damage a round is quite good. Might want to consider it Sneak attack, or increasing the dice size, but only on crits etc.
I would ask you the opposite - I'm guessing you have some sort of table rule allowing a player to roll all his attacks and their damage, and only then pick the savage one to reroll? :)

In other words, yes, I have been evaluating the feat from the perspective that you handle one attack at a time.

---

Extra d6 damage is +3.5 damage per round. Or a net bonus of just above +2 once you factor in the ASI you didn't take.

This isn't much better than the original feat, but it's much faster in play - you don't add the decision point "do I reroll?", you simply add the extra damage to the attack you want to make "savage".

It also benefits all weaponry equally. I like how the feat enables a dagger or a club to be actually scary.

You don't need to add it to the first successful attack, but if you don't you do risk losing out by missing all other attacks.

---

Not sure what you mean by your suggestions.

Making it sneak? Do you mean it should only apply on sneak attacks? Or do you perhaps mean it shouldn't be considered weapon damage, and thus not double on a crit?

What do you mean by increasing the damage die? Yes I could turn a d4 into a d10 for the same benefit, but how do you increase the damage die of the d10's and d12's that are most likely to be used with this feat? (You'd add a separate d6, that's how :))

Sorry if I'm dense, but please explain again.

CapnZapp

Legend
I wouldn't think you'd need to change move speed, though, as a normal 30 foot move is only 3.4 mph. I can easily believe a trained archer can move that speed and still take aim by concentrating enough (aka, spending a bonus action concentrating).
Not terribly important, but:

By having the archer spending the bonus action I have changed move speed :)

(I still agree to what you're saying, and I don't intend to add changes to speed to this discussion. Just wanted to spell it out that a Sharpshooter Rogue can't move 60 feet and still attack like a regular Rogue)

Assuming we end up with a Sharpshooter than takes the bonus action, of course.

smbakeresq

Explorer
For the time being, I'm starting out by the idea to combine Durable with Savage Attacker. And going from there...:

Savage Attacker
  • When you roll a Hit Die to regain hit points, add a d6 to the number of hit points you regain.
  • Once per turn when you have hit with a melee attack, add a d6 to the damage.
  • When you score a critical hit with a melee weapon attack, the target becomes frightened of you until the end of its next turn.

The third benefit is meant as a perk especially for Champion Fighters.

I would get rid of the durable inclusion and just add in when you score a critical hit the weapon damage roll for that attack is the maximum. You must still roll the extra damage as normal for critical hits.

smbakeresq

Explorer
For Dual Wielder I worked in if you use 2 light weapons and hit with both you get a bonus 1d8 as a rend attack to give a reason for light weapon users to take the feat. I think its a good idea and flavor.

Moving the bonus action attack to your regular attack sequence is also a good idea and worthy of a feat.

I would ask you the opposite - I'm guessing you have some sort of table rule allowing a player to roll all his attacks and their damage, and only then pick the savage one to reroll? :)

In other words, yes, I have been evaluating the feat from the perspective that you handle one attack at a time.
Fair enough. I don't think that I've had a group with anyone with that feat in, but certainly we don't have any specific rules about rolling attacks: some people roll all at once, some don't and some mix. I think its one of those things like cocked dice which isn't mentioned in the rules.

Making it sneak? Do you mean it should only apply on sneak attacks? Or do you perhaps mean it shouldn't be considered weapon damage, and thus not double on a crit?
As in will only apply in those situations (advantage/adjacent ally) in which sneak attack does. As far as I'm aware, sneak attack does multiply with a crit.

What do you mean by increasing the damage die? Yes I could turn a d4 into a d10 for the same benefit, but how do you increase the damage die of the d10's and d12's that are most likely to be used with this feat? (You'd add a separate d6, that's how :))
As in if you're only applying the extra damage on a crit, you can use a larger die rather than the d6 you've suggested without the damage getting excessive.

Gimul

Explorer
By removing the crossbow expert feat; and not providing another avenue of loading removal; you would prevent archer classes with access to extra attack from using crossbows. This is overly heavy-handed; especially since this has nothing to do with balance, only your dislike of the optics of dual-wielding hand crossbows.

Perhaps you should just let people house rule John Wooing; instead of screwing over every Dwarf/Gnome archer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

CapnZapp

Legend
By removing the crossbow expert feat; and not providing another avenue of loading removal; you would prevent archer classes with access to extra attack from using crossbows. This is overly heavy-handed; especially since this has nothing to do with balance, only your dislike of the optics of dual-wielding hand crossbows.

Perhaps you should just let people house rule John Wooing; instead of screwing over every Dwarf/Gnome archer.

I agree the removal of loading removal is not related to anything else.

Had I considered it as heavy-handed as you, I would certainly have added it back in somewhere.

As it is, I'm perfectly fine with the idea that crossbows are used by inexperienced troops (read characters without Extra Attack) and as a initial salvo (even characters with Extra Attack can still use them in the first round, before they start chopping people with cutlasses or whatever).

Should I ever get you as a player, Gimbul, I shall remain open to the possibility of allowing you to play a Gnomish Marksman equipped with a Gnomish invention of a repeating crossbow. So it's not that I'm denying anyone his or her fun, I just like the idea that regular crossbows work a little more like reality enough to not bother replacing the loss of Crossbow Expert :)

CapnZapp

Legend
As in will only apply in those situations (advantage/adjacent ally) in which sneak attack does. As far as I'm aware, sneak attack does multiply with a crit.
I could be misinterpreting you, but I'm going to go with the response "I feel savage attacks to be the opposite of sneak/precision attacks".

As in if you're only applying the extra damage on a crit, you can use a larger die rather than the d6 you've suggested without the damage getting excessive.
I don't think I'm interested in a feat that only adds damage on a crit, if that's what you mean?

---

+1d6 damage isn't especially excessive, by the way. After all, it's less than +2.5 points of DPR increase compared to the ASI.

Sure it's nice on the very lowest levels, especially if your build isn't using a greatweapon, but even when it represents a +100% DPR increase (the character without Extra Attack using a shortsword) it isn't exactly unbalancing. After all, you can get the exact same effect from dualwielding or switching to a greatsword.

Alreadt in the medium term I hope other feats will be competitive. (If that is something y'all don't think is true, however, I'm hearing your arguments.)

smbakeresq

Explorer

I understand the frustration, but there never was dwarf/gnome archers in any game UNTIL the Crossbow Expert feat came into existence. That feat created builds precisely because it was broken, that's the idea behind why it is broken.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads